Aligning Arbor Support On Single Arm 22L

JRock1000

Registered
Registered
So, I'm making an overarm support for my VN22L.
Before I got it, I wanted a 2MH or 2H or a machine with either a double overarm, or a ram.
Now I've got the 22L and It's an awesome machine.
It just occurred to me, how do you ensure that the Overarm support is aligned properly on a Round, Single Overarm?
Seems like it'd be easy for it to yank the arbor out of whack.
The overarm support is not light, and has a fair bit of leverage compared to a 1" or 1 1/4" round bar.
Maybe I'm overthinking it, and when I get there, it'll be self evident?
Do you have to indicate your Horizontal arbors? Or are they rigid enough to locate everything properly.
BTW, thrilled that this forum has a section devoted to VN!

I have a 22L and don't have an answer to your question. I would indicate with an indicator on the table position in so that indicator tip is pointed up and drag it across the arm on the bottom and the side. I have not really even used mine as I need to source the table screw nuts.

It is much the same problem with any older horizontal mill with a single round overarm, perhaps made worse by the offset on the VN. I had, for many years a couple of Brown & Sharpe horizontal mills, a #2 universal and a #3 plain heavy. I never worried about the alignment issue, as long as the arbore were straight with minimal runout, and the overarm bearing bracket was tightened onto the overarm before tightening the arbor nut, there was not a problem with alignment. In the case of the VN, if you put a dial indicator over or under the arbor before installing the bearing bracket and made sure the indicator read zero before tightening the bracket on the overarm, it would be OK, and YES, we can overthink all too many things ---

It is much the same problem with any older horizontal mill with a single round overarm, perhaps made worse by the offset on the VN. I had, for many years a couple of Brown & Sharpe horizontal mills, a #2 universal and a #3 plain heavy. I never worried about the alignment issue, as long as the arbore were straight with minimal runout, and the overarm bearing bracket was tightened onto the overarm before tightening the arbor nut, there was not a problem with alignment. In the case of the VN, if you put a dial indicator over or under the arbor before installing the bearing bracket and made sure the indicator read zero before tightening the bracket on the overarm, it would be OK, and YES, we can overthink all too many things ---
Yeah, I think that's why I wanted a Dual Overarm / Ram Machine, just so that I didn't have to give it any thought.
Then I got the 22L in my hot little hands, and I've been so busy fixing the feed, then being impressed with it when I did, I totally forgot my original logic.
Now I'm getting close(r) to running some horizontal Milling arbors, and the thought crept up on me again.
Easy enough to run an indicator over it, but I can also see how tapping and fiddling with the Overarm support to get it just so, could turn in to a deterrent to putting it on and taking it off. I guess I'll find out.
I'm not too worried about it, just would like to hear other's experience.
Is it a pain? Or easy enough, that you just do it, and be done with, and not think twice about it, like most other setup and operation changes?

BTW, Is there a physical lock for the crossfeed? There's that handle underneath of it, labeled SC in the manual, but then it doesn't really mention it. Mine doesn't get that tight, and the Saddle feed kind of interferes with it. Am I missing something?

I believe mine just had a allen set scre on the X-axis. Underneath for the Y axis facing machine to the left was a handle. But now that you mention it I don't think mine got that tight either.

I cleaned my table up and inspected the nuts and cut my finger on what was supposed to be an amce thread in the nut. So yeah time for them to be changed. I cannot get mine to stay in power feed though.

And my Z axis table feed jumps.

just checked the manual (I found a more modern manual , that has everything labeled ). The handle is called the saddle binder. It operates by tightening the saddle gibs (for the Y axis). The Table Binder is the Socketed Set Screw next to the oiler, on the front of the saddle.

I cannot get mine to stay in power feed though.

And my Z axis table feed jumps.
Mine did that until I figured out the feed motor was running backwards.

The over arm support rotates around the arm, so it can only be off in two directions, high, or low. Its just a support, so I did not worry too much over the alignment. I set up the arbor, and with the drive in neutral, I moved the arm until the arbor turned freely, and tightened it down. I think it could be off by 1/2" either way, and still work fine. Trying to think it out, the only time I could see worrying over the alingment, is if you have a gang of cutters, hat need to be parallel to the table.

Yeah, Check the Motor Direction first, then check the shear pin on the left panel.
The over arm support rotates around the arm, so it can only be off in two directions, high, or low. Its just a support, so I did not worry too much over the alignment. I set up the arbor, and with the drive in neutral, I moved the arm until the arbor turned freely, and tightened it down. I think it could be off by 1/2" either way, and still work fine. Trying to think it out, the only time I could see worrying over the alingment, is if you have a gang of cutters, hat need to be parallel to the table.
You got a great point! I was thinking if it was out of alignment, the teeth would cut unevenly, but that's not the case (theoretically).
If it's out vertically, it will cut on a slight angle. If it's out horizontally, it will cut a little wider, and maybe be slightly more prone to chatter.
I was imagining that the cutter might end up cutting eccentrically, but neither of those misalignments would cause that.
Thanks!

Back