Allison Transmission for my V12

fernballan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Is anyone who knows of an Allison automatic transmission from a bus or truck

Is anyone who knows of an Allison automatic transmission from a bus or truck

I have bought hundreds of Allison transmissions and also had them repaired and overhauled, but that was 30-40 years ago when I worked for the County equipment division. The biggest need for them was in the refuse (garbage) department, where they spent all day going from house to house, full power followed by full braking, all day long, 550 or more stops per day, with intervals of driving to the refuse site (dump) to unload. It was a very tough life for them. What are the torque and power ratings for the M50 engine? What are the space limitations in the tank?

I have bought hundreds of Allison transmissions and also had them repaired and overhauled, but that was 30-40 years ago when I worked for the County equipment division. The biggest need for them was in the refuse (garbage) department, where they spent all day going from house to house, full power followed by full braking, all day long, 550 or more stops per day, with intervals of driving to the refuse site (dump) to unload. It was a very tough life for them. What are the torque and power ratings for the M50 engine? What are the space limitations in the tank?

I'm going to build something fun. I need a rugged gearbox and an automatic gearbox is easier! The V12 has 1200 horsepower

Over here in oilfied country, they use those Allisons for running pumps on the cementing and frac trucks. They generally run cat twin V's engines on them. I'm not up to speed on the equipment, I do recall that much. Over in your part of the world, Look for oil field equipment yards that may have stuff like that laying around. Oilfield is coming back, that stuff is fixing to be at a premium for junk.

For an engine with that much power, and assuming off road, heavy duty service, an Allison transmission like these are about all I see that can take the power:
http://www.allisontransmission.com/...ication-sheets/intohs_8600_mar13.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Those are BIG and HEAVY and EXPEN$IVE! I do not know of any older series of Allison transmission that you might find used and would meet your needs for that much power. The biggest Allison transmissions I have worked around was the 4000 series, heavy/medium on/off road truck transmissions. All the newer Allison transmissions are the "world series", and we had poor service from them. The older AT and MT series transmissions were a good product, but way too light for your 1200 HP V12.

1200. Hp, ied still want a standard,

For an engine with that much power, and assuming off road, heavy duty service, an Allison transmission like these are about all I see that can take the power:
http://www.allisontransmission.com/...ication-sheets/intohs_8600_mar13.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Those are BIG and HEAVY and EXPEN$IVE! I do not know of any older series of Allison transmission that you might find used and would meet your needs for that much power. The biggest Allison transmissions I have worked around was the 4000 series, heavy/medium on/off road truck transmissions. All the newer Allison transmissions are the "world series", and we had poor service from them. The older AT and MT series transmissions were a good product, but way too light for your 1200 HP V12.
I'll have a light body and it's mostly just so it moves. I'm not going to race so i think is ok

Transmissions don't care one lick about horsepower. They care about torque. You need to know three parameters before choosing a trans, input torque, input speed range, and desired output speed range. Beyond that I'm no help. The biggest Allison I've worked on is the MT. And have done lots and lots of the 1000 series. But nothing bigger.

Transmissions don't care one lick about horsepower. They care about torque. You need to know three parameters before choosing a trans, input torque, input speed range, and desired output speed range. Beyond that I'm no help. The biggest Allison I've worked on is the MT. And have done lots and lots of the 1000 series. But nothing bigger.
Thanks

I need a transmission with as little electronics as possible

Back