Aloris AT-19: Knurl Questions

I agree with 30 too. That is why I suggested 128 DP knurls. Close to a 30 tpi

Splat,
The attached Chart may be of some use in determining material diameter required for CP Knurls.
Shelly142

Attachments

• Knurling Diameter Turning Chart.pdf
    88.4 KB · Views: 9
Got it. I remember guys saying u need formulas, exact diameters, yada, yada, yada...and I'm sure there's truth and sound reasoning for it. It seems lately I seeing guys, like Joe Pi, saying basically to go all in, and usually in one pass, and to heck with formulas, etc. I was never good in math! o_O Man Mike, I can't wait to try this thing out. Btw, the Aloris I got has the arm on it so it fits into a standard tool qctp holder. The one you have fits the qctpost dovetails. I hope mine works as good as yours. :cool 3:

You really only need to calculate for knurls if knurling flat knurls (partially formed), hard materials, or if using a cut knurler. That is why I calculate for knurls. I don't like to form a knurl with multiple passes, I get better results, & with material that work hardens easily you don't want to take multpile passes. But usually when I knurl cosmetics is more important than functionality.

What ever works for you.

Okay, from this comment I am assuming (dangerous, I know) that you recommend we should always calculate diameters for use with CP knurls? If we don't then what, the knurls will mistrack?

Mikey,
I don’t believe I was recommending anything. This thread had a number of opinions/ recommendations for what is required to produce an acceptable knurled shaft. One was for the need for a specific diameter based on pitch for CP type knurls. I just offered a chart with that information. The user will ultimately determine to utilize the data provided or not. In either case it is his or her choice to make.
Shelly142

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Darkzero and I have had this discussion before, the one about having to calculate or not. He is in the "calculate" camp and I'm in the "no need to calculate with CP knurls" camp. Your comment came right after his and my impression was perhaps wrong. Darkzero has demonstrated multiple times that he is extremely adept at making high quality knurls. In fact, many members aspire to match his work so this guy knows what he's talking about. I'm actually not defending him; his work speaks for itself, far better than Will can himself.

I've only been knurling for maybe 28 years or so and probably still have a lot to learn but like most hobby guys, I've been down the "calculate" road and have found them to be cumbersome and unnecessary in most cases. In the early calculating days, I struggled with this knurling thing and calculated probably hundreds of times, only to find that when a calculated diameter worked it was because I applied adequate pressure. It was the pressure, not the diameter, that made the difference. I've since proven to myself that this is so many, many times.

So, you're right ... whatever works for you. My apologies for misconstruing your intent.

Sometimes the sequencing of the thread responses can be a bit confusing. No damage done, I think we all contribute for the benefit of the group.

Back