Aloris axa on a Logan 11”

Low tech

Registered
Registered
I have been thinking of getting an Aloris axa tool post and holders for my Logan 11” model 1955 . Does the Aloris work that much better than the lantern type holder that I am using now ? Thanks for your consideration .....Steve

Night and day difference between the two. Once you have used a QC type tool post you will never return to a lantern. At least I have never again used my lantern tooling. The Aloris type post has more mass and rigidity than a lantern type providing for less chatter at the cutting tip and better finish. I could not afford an Aloris and had to settle for an import Phase II which I have been quite satisfied with.

I think you will be most pleased with the results if you decide to do this. For me it has been the one upgrade to my machine that instantly improved the quality of the material I turn on my lathe.

Hi Steve, I have an Aloris axa set up on my SB 10L and works great, there are other less expensive units that people are happy with. Lantern holders have there place sometimes

Agreed, they do. I would not get rid of my lantern post or tool holders either. I just have not needed to use them for anything since switching over.

+1 to all of the above.
QCTP is the way to go. And on an 11"er you'll wonder how you ever got by without one.
Look at Shars, and All Industrial. Go with a wedge-type if budget allows.
AI has free shipping over $75.

for tool holders all industrial is the cheapest ive found... axa (250-101) are like 13.95 on amazon. for some reason the xl ones are quite a bit more and shipping isn't included.... I started out with a phase2 post and set of 5 holders.... but it seems you can never have enough holders!

Have the Aloris axa toolpost and holder setup on my 12" Logan. Highly recommended. But very disappointed in my single Phase II holder, POS.

+1 to all of the above.
QCTP is the way to go. And on an 11"er you'll wonder how you ever got by without one.
Look at Shars, and All Industrial. Go with a wedge-type if budget allows.
AI has free shipping over $75.

Yes, excellent point! When I bought my QCTP I wanted a wedge, but could only afford a cheaper piston model. I knew the wedge was superior to the piston when I ordered the piston but sadly money was tight enough that I was lucky to get the cheaper piston, much less a wedge. I think things might have changed in the last few years with little cost difference from one to the other wedge VS piston. I would totally agree on getting a wedge type post if funds allow.

With all that said I have not been disappointed with my piston type tool post in any way.

Yes, excellent point! When I bought my QCTP I wanted a wedge, but could only afford a cheaper piston model. I knew the wedge was superior to the piston when I ordered the piston but sadly money was tight enough that I was lucky to get the cheaper piston, much less a wedge. I think things might have changed in the last few years with little cost difference from one to the other wedge VS piston. I would totally agree on getting a wedge type post if funds allow.

With all that said I have not been disappointed with my piston type tool post in any way.
A few years ago I believe that the price difference was a quite a bit. I got lucky and scored a Dorian Wedge and an Aloris Piston at auction, kept the Dorian and peddled the Aloris on the 'Bay and it still brought in a good penny and it needed attention and TLC.
The Dorian is just about ready to migrate over to my Logan 210 here very shortly, just need to make another T-Nut for it. (famous last words...)

Back