Aloris axa on a Logan 11”

I currently have a Dorian newer style wedge QCTP on my Jet lathe, that replaced an Aloris wedge QCTP. While I really like the Dorian, I never noticed any operational difference in either of the Dorian or Aloris, compared to the other. I later sold the Aloris., but could have, happily lived with either.

I ended up getting an Aloris AXA tool post and holders for my Logan . Everyone was right about this being the way to go .
The rigidity is greatly improved over the lantern style tool post . I look forward to more projects with this improvement to my Logan . Thanks to everyone who replied to my initial post....Steve

I ended up getting an Aloris AXA tool post and holders for my Logan . Everyone was right about this being the way to go .
The rigidity is greatly improved over the lantern style tool post . I look forward to more projects with this improvement to my Logan . Thanks to everyone who replied to my initial post....Steve
Difference is night & day for sure. Next comes the part where you start using more varied and different tooling and then have to order another half dozen holders. :cool 2:

Dan is correct. You will probably find that you need several of the #1 (from Aloris's numbering system) or #101 or 250-101 (from Yuasa's original numbering system) Turning & Facing holders. Or #2 or #102 Turning, Facing & Boring holders. I think that I have around 14 of them, a couple of which don't have anything mounted in them at present. You may also want a couple of the 101XL holders. Where the standard 101/102 is made for 3/8" square and 1/2" diameter cutters and adapters and will just squeeze in 1/2" square, the XL suffix holders will hold 1/2" square and can just squeeze in 5/8" square and 3/4" diameter tooling and adapters. For ready reference, the 100 Series are for AXA tool posts, the 200 for BXA and the 300 for CXA.

Some of the tooling that you might want to have only a quick-change away are things like a chamfering or beveling cutter, a grooving tool, etc. Yoo can also buy or make things like a mount for a dial indicator, a ball turner, etc. If you need in the course of a job to use a different tool and only have one tool holder to fit it in, you are hardly any better off than if you were using the lantern style holder.

....trimmed.... I think that I have around 14 of them, a couple of which don't have anything mounted in them at present. You may also want a couple of the 101XL holders. ....trimmed some more....

Whoa, hold on a minute! Would you care to explain how you have a 'couple' empties? :grin:

I always try to keep a couple empties for special cuts that pop up, and then empty them immediately after use. I have hundreds of HSS tools, and they do nothing for me while resting in a drawer.

Back