Aloris BXA-19 knurling tool

Here's a few different style knurling holders . They all work . They also have their good and bad benefits depending on size and machine capability . This is really a subject as a parting tool where there is not a one tool does everything great . You're not going to knurl a 20" diameter roller with an Eagle Rock , and you won't be knurling a smaller soft shaft with a push type . For hobby work , the old time pivot tools would be my choice . You can be off center and it wouldn't matter . The Aloris shown is a good tool but has to be on center . The CNC knurler has adjustments foe each knurl and can also be rotated making diagonal knurls with straight wheels . TMI at this point . There is no cutting in knurling , rather deforming the surface . You NEED oil and plenty of it . You also need the correct wheels if called out on a print . You also need the correct diameter of the shaft when dealing with specs . Once again , all of the above depends on what you need for results . :dunno:

Attachments

• IMG_9590.JPG
    IMG_9590.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 23
Here's a few different style knurling holders . They all work . They also have their good and bad benefits depending on size and machine capability . This is really a subject as a parting tool where there is not a one tool does everything great . You're not going to knurl a 20" diameter roller with an Eagle Rock , and you won't be knurling a smaller soft shaft with a push type . For hobby work , the old time pivot tools would be my choice . You can be off center and it wouldn't matter . The Aloris shown is a good tool but has to be on center . The CNC knurler has adjustments foe each knurl and can also be rotated making diagonal knurls with straight wheels . TMI at this point . There is no cutting in knurling , rather deforming the surface . You NEED oil and plenty of it . You also need the correct wheels if called out on a print . You also need the correct diameter of the shaft when dealing with specs . Once again , all of the above depends on what you need for results . :dunno:
Not TMI! The more info the better. Thanks.

After doing some more research I don’t believe I was on center. I also think my spindle speed was way too fast. And I think I was using way too much pressure.

I’m happy I posted this here. You guys are always so helpful

I use a Reilang oil can, and as the knurl traverses the work I add oil to the piece to float particles, I also shoot oil on the 4 internal axle positions to keep them lubed.

I think the Aloris BXA-19 is a great knurling tool; I've never had a problem with it. I like it because it doesn't impart radial loads like the single-wheel models. I do try to turn the stock diameter to a number which is evenly divisible by the knurl TPI, but there are folks out there which show that this typically isn't that big of a deal. I still do it tho. :) And I do take a fair bite on the first pass...but not crazy tight either. I use Aloris knurling wheels; I do have some off-brand but haven't had the need to use them yet.

@mmcmdl - The upper and lower arms on the BXA-19 float as an assembly by a good 1/4" so being on center isn't a thing (within reason). If you meant wheels at the 12- and 6 o'clock positions relative to the stock: my apologies!

@Defender92 - what was your RPM and feed rate? Do the arms float? The arms ride in adjustable dovetails w/in the head. You want to only snug up the dovetails so the arms don't flop around; don't snug up so hard that the arms don't float up/down (they are supposed to). The first picture of the knurls you show have sharp (90*) edges. That adds pressure when traversing. While certainly still usable, there are convex knurls which traverse easier. The trade off is you won't get a sharp knurl at the ends of the knurling.

Last edited:
I built a copy of the aloris19 and I think it works great. 10E91365-68BF-4694-8A0F-D8111F603944.jpeg3828F879-7666-4461-AD84-688FD8388F11.jpeg
Pins are hardened dowel pins and the wheels are from a old Armstrong multi wheel knurler.
How I center the work is bring the wheels up to the material then adjust the height on tool post so the upper and lower wheel contact the work at the same time. Then I adjust the toolpost to make sure the wheels are square to the work. You wanna see full contact of the wheels hand spinning the material. Once setup I tighten the wheels one turn. Make a pass and see what happens. After that I go/infeed till I get the knurl I want.
It’s been by far the easiest way I’ve found to knurl. I have the push type and I think it’s way to much pressure for the compound and lead screws.

I think the Aloris BXA-19 is a great knurling tool; I've never had a problem with it. I like it because it doesn't impart radial loads like the single-wheel models. I do try to turn the stock diameter to a number which is evenly divisible by the knurl TPI, but there are folks out there which show that this typically isn't that big of a deal. I still do it tho. :) And I do take a fair bite on the first pass...but not crazy tight either. I use Aloris knurling wheels; I do have some off-brand but haven't had the need to use them yet.

@mmcmdl - The upper and lower arms on the BXA-19 float as an assembly by a good 1/4" so being on center isn't a thing (within reason). If you meant wheels at the 12- and 6 o'clock positions relative to the stock: my apologies!

@Defender92 - what was your RPM and feed rate? Do the arms float? The arms ride in adjustable dovetails w/in the head. You want to only snug up the dovetails so the arms don't flop around; don't snug up so hard that the arms don't float up/down (they are supposed to). The first picture of the knurls you show have sharp (90*) edges. That adds pressure when traversing. While certainly still usable, there are convex knurls which traverse easier. The trade off is you won't get a sharp knurl at the ends of the knurling.
I’m happy to hear good things about my knurling tool choice. Mrpete222 also said good things about the Aloris 19.

I’m not sure on my speed and feed rate. But I’m starting to think my speed was too fast. I just received new knurls and a new knurl screw from Aloris. I’m off the next 3 days and I will be playing around with it.

I was wondering about those convex knurls. Now I know. I will have to pick some up on my next order to try them out.

I built a copy of the aloris19 and I think it works great. View attachment 424122View attachment 424123
Pins are hardened dowel pins and the wheels are from a old Armstrong multi wheel knurler.
How I center the work is bring the wheels up to the material then adjust the height on tool post so the upper and lower wheel contact the work at the same time. Then I adjust the toolpost to make sure the wheels are square to the work. You wanna see full contact of the wheels hand spinning the material. Once setup I tighten the wheels one turn. Make a pass and see what happens. After that I go/infeed till I get the knurl I want.
It’s been by far the easiest way I’ve found to knurl. I have the push type and I think it’s way to much pressure for the compound and lead screws.
Very well done

Back