Aloris BXA-71 parting tool holder question

Stonebriar

Rick
H-M Platinum Supporter
Does anyone have one of these? I bought an Aloris BXA-71 tool holder and an Aloris 71-125-1BSL blade today. See the attached picture, this 1 1/2" stick out is as close to the body that the blade end will tighten so it wont move. Other wise you can slide it back and forth. Is there a problem with the holder or am I not bright enough to figure out how to adjust this? I would prefer to have no more stick out than needed to do the cutoff.

Thanks in advance. Puzzled.
Rick

bxa-71.jpg

My same blade in a CXA holder has the adjustment screw at the back of the holder...the insert goes out the other end. Maybe try that?

It appears that the locking wedge is bottomed out, first ask Aloris or the firm that you bought it from that there is a problem with some part being out of spec. otherwise, you could insert a shim on top of the wedge to allow it to tighten more.

Here are some things to check. Looking at your posted photo, the clamping wedge is bottomed out and it shouldn't be. Here's a photo from my setup with the blade fully locked down. Notice how the wedge has plenty of additional room (green line) to move backward and clamp a blade that is even less tall.

screenshot_5366.jpg

Here is my blade is pulled back flush with the front of the QC tool holder and fully clamped down solid - notice the wedge gap (green line) still has plenty of backward movement potential.

screenshot_5363.jpg

Make sure the blade is fitted properly in the QC tool holder - the beveled edges top and bottom should mesh with the corresponding dovetails in the tool holder slot.

screenshot_5364.jpg

Also check the measured width of the blade - mine is shown below.

screenshot_5365.jpg

If the blade is seated properly in the QC tool holder and the blade height measurement agrees with what's shown above, then your BXA-71 is defective. In that case I would call Aloris tech support at (973) 772-1201. I would not start shimming to correct the problem - get the blade or tool holder replaced.

You spotted it David, the double threaded 'tightening' screw needs adjustment.

I yeild to the 'too small clamp' discussion below.

Last edited:
You know it looks to me based on pictures that the tightening-block there is the wrong size. On OP's post, it looks to sit higher than the top of the slot, even at full tight! ALL of the pictures I see (Including David's) seem to show that it should sit significantly lower, even at partial adjustment.

I wonder if Aloris mis-assembled it with the block to a smaller toolholder?

Bingo. If you drive the clamping wedge forward far enough, you can reposition the clamping wedge along the clamping screw by simply rotating it like you'd unscrew a nut. That might provide more clearance for the clamping wedge? Not sure - worth trying.

screenshot_5368.jpg

You know it looks to me based on pictures that the tightening-block there is the wrong size. On OP's post, it looks to sit higher than the top of the slot, even at full tight! ALL of the pictures I see (Including David's) seem to show that it should sit significantly lower, even at partial adjustment.

I wonder if Aloris mis-assembled it with the block to a smaller toolholder?
I'm starting to agree with @ErichKeane . Speculating here, but that clamping wedge could be the one used on the AXA-sized #71, or off of a #7 or #77.

Yes look at the holding anvil on yours Dave VS mine. My anvil is strait across the same height as the grove. When I tighten it just goes at the same height. Yours hangs down past the lines. Thanks for the picture.

Yes look at the holding anvil on yours Dave VS mine. My anvil is strait across the same height as the grove. When I tighten it just goes at the same height. Yours hangs down past the lines. Thanks for the picture.
Yea, you've got the wrong clamping wedge on that Aloris tool holder. GIve 'em a call.

Back