Aloris BXA Tool Post Disassembly

Jake P

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
How do you get the center column out of an Aloris QCTP? This thing is so tight that I'm bending steel trying to loosen it!

It is my understanding that this is a LH thread. So I have been trying to turn it accordingly.

Ideas?

I want to open it and clean it as it's of unknown age to me and when it sits on a surface for a while it leaves little grease spots that are quite nasty (that's a technical term for dirty grease :)).

So here is the tool post in question:

IMG_9889.jpg

And here is the piece of steel that I milled to fit the slot in the tool post:

IMG_9891.jpg

And as you can see it's not even coming close to working:

IMG_9890.jpg

I was just gonna say the chinese clone I have is RH thread. The stupid thing unthreads sometimes when I try to loosen and reposition the tool post. I had to remake the t-nut stud in a course thread so it would unwind faster then the center post. With fine thread on the stud the assembly would self-wedge.

I had watched Stuart De Haro's latest youtube video where he disassembles his Aloris clone and that one was a LH thread, so I figured mine was too.

All is well now :cool:

I was just gonna say the chinese clone I have is RH thread. The stupid thing unthreads sometimes when I try to loosen and reposition the tool post. I had to remake the t-nut stud in a course thread so it would unwind faster then the center post. With fine thread on the stud the assembly would self-wedge.
There was a whole tube of red locktite on the threads of this one, maybe that's what you need?

It's Chinese. I've already had to field strip it once and adjust a few clearances....

Might shoot some blue in there.

My Dorian was very tight as well, I made a tool for. I was told it was overkill but like you stated very tight.

Attachments

• QCTP Tool.jpg
    QCTP Tool.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 27
Back