Aloris CXA

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
There's a 3/8 inch threaded hole on the tail stock side of my tool post holder. Does anyone know the purpose of this tapped hole?

Yes, it is for a work stop, if you look on Aloris catalog, you can see what it looks like, and make one yourself.

It is no longer in there catalog. It bolted to the tool post and had an adjustable rod. Say you needed to turn down 1" of a part, you set the rod 1" from the tip of your tool.

No it was something that had very limited use. Maybe a member has an older catalog 1991 or older. I read a wright up someone made a small follow rest mounted there but I cannot find it anymore.

It was mainly used for parting off such as tube parts, the threaded rod had a bearing ball set into the end so that it could rotate against the part to be cut off, when you went in with the parting tool, the ball passed into the hollow of the part so that it did not wedge up as the part was cut off.
Perhaps tomorrow, I will take some pics and post them here.

So far, I have not been able to find the device, but will keep looking or go to my old shop and take a pic of the one that they have.

Device found!
the threaded portion of the stop rod is 6" long, the knurled knob is 1 1/4" diameter
the spacers are 1" dia. and 1 3/4" long with a 13/16 through hole
the mounting stud is 3/8" dia. with 7/8" thread on one end and 1/2" on the other, the two thin nuts are 7/8" hex and 3/8 thick
the slotted bar is 1/2" thick X 1 5/16" wide with a 13/16" wide slot, milled 4 1/2" long, and 5 1/2" long.
The end of the stop had a 1/4" ball inserted into a shallow hole in the end, the end of the stop is rolled over to retain the ball and allow it to freely rotate.
Why I was initially unable to find the device was I was looking in the wrong place! Of course, it was intended for the lathe QCTP, but mostly it gets used as a vice stop on the mills; I have drilled and tapped holes in the sides of my mill vices on the area behind the fixed jaw to accommodate the stop.
After finishing all the parts, I niter blued them, using the US Armory method, in a heated (600-650 F.) mixture of sodium nitrate and potassium nitrate for about 5 min., then in a hot water bath to wash off the salt, then into hot quenching oil bath. This effectively prevents rusting.pod and lsthe stop 006.JPGpod and lsthe stop 006.JPG

pod and lsthe stop 007.JPG

pod and lsthe stop 008.JPG

Back