Aloris tool holder

denwhit

Registered
Registered
I'm searching for a nice lathe for my garage. I'm curious why the outrageous price of the Aloris tool holder. I'm wondering if someone finds one of these with 5 attachments what that would be worth? I can see the new price is amazing.
thanks.

Last edited:
Be aware that the five attachments are not all really usable. Two are regular tool holders, one is a boring bar holder, one is a knurling tool and one is a cut off tool No problem, two of the three are obviously usable and I've reworked the knurling tool be a regular lathe tool, but of the 15 or so regular tool holders most of us think we'll need, the initial purchase only supplies two.

Aloris is a brand name, arguably better than any other, but for the hobbyist, that degree of quality is not necessary.

Or make a Norman style holder. My neighbor made his own iteration of this type, he says you will never go back to a QCTP after using one.

Not just for mini lathes. Not sure at what size it would become impractical if at al.

I would buy a wedge type toolpost. Make or purchase the holders. Holders are about $12 for AXA sizes. Prices might be volatile now due to tariffs on Chinese products.

I made an Alciatore style tool post. It is just like the Norman one, but with a flat on the central post. It is very rigid and convenient, and combined with a tool height gauge, it is quick to set up with garage sale bits. My lathe came without a tool post, and this one works well. Sometimes I wonder how a lantern tool post would work. Everybody seems to want to get rid of them as quickly as possible, but I'm kind of curious.

Back