Aloris tool holder

Sometimes I wonder how a lantern tool post would work. Everybody seems to want to get rid of them as quickly as possible, but I'm kind of curious.

Use one and you'll find out why. We had to use them in school, they were known as "rocker" tool posts. They will get the job done, but are primitive at best.

To the OP: I'm with Illinoyance, get a Chinese copy of the Aloris wedge style. I bought a Bostar and like it, very solid and repeatable.

It depends on your preference, my self I perfect the “Aloris” style, also one step further the wedge type. The imports are fine considering the price, like anything the lower end ones may need a bit of tweaking.

Two reasons for the Aloris style, tool blocks are easily obtained, or relatively easy to machine. Second I use a lot of direct mount tooling. It’s modified larger tool holders that is dovetailed to fit like a tool block. Machine the Norman pattern in one of these is difficult.

Also I like thinner boring bar holders so I make them my self, this way I tailor the block to the boring bar and I have a ridged set up. Here is an older video that I show my lathe tooling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back