Aluminum anodizing using sodium bisulfate solution contaminated

well, the good news about this, is that for fairly cheap you are back in business, just a slight detour.

Hmmm, a vintage 1911 has no aluminum parts, so it must be a Porsche. :thumbsup:

Tom

Yep for $7 at Lowes I got more ph neg and refilled the tank. The solution was not contaminated just weak. I now have a digital ph meter and can keep an eye on it and just add more ph neg when needed. I wish I would have saved some of the old solution before I dumped it so I could have checked it with the ph meter just to see how high the ph had gotten. The new mix works just as good as it did when I first started about 6 months ago. When thing I did see that slowly probably degraded the solution was I would leave the cathode in the tank for extended periods of time and crystals would grow on it. There was one point I probably took a cup of crystals out after leaving the cathode in for 2 weeks. Now when I am done I take the cathode out every time.

Hey Tony you can anodize an entire Porsche if the tank is big enough. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ed

Last edited:
Depends on the finish you want. Chemical stripping tends to leave a rough surface when I've had it done, even professionally, so if I wanted a smooth, consistent surface, I'd spend some time carefully removing it with abrasives, then polishing it as needed. The key is to make the finish prior to anodize match the desired end result. Shiny will be high gloss, something like glass bead will be matte. Most trim anodizing I've seen is not glossy, so I believe I'd go with a low pressure walnut blast or similar. If not done right, chemical stripping can leave pits that are impossible to hide.

Yep
1979 Porsche 911
The window frames are anodized black, but the PO allowed them to rattle in the doors resulting in the need of a re do

would it be best to chemically strip the old anodize off, or sand it?
Maybe best to then have the ano re applied by a pro
what do you think?
tks

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Am I seeing things, or did I post an answer before you posted the question? That's the way it displays for me.

Are you seeing things or aren't you. Is the south pole really the bottom of the planet or the top. :headscratch:

Yep that is the way I am seeing it Tony. First time I saw that.

You are right on the money though Tony. I would not use a chemical means to try and strip the old anodizing off. If over applied it does pit the metal and there is a general loss of metal also. In a trim piece I don't think thinning of the metal is something you really want to chance.

Maybe you should have it priced with a professional anodizer to have the old stripped/blasted off and re-anodized and then go from there. The anodizing itself you are probably going to want a pro to do anyway because based on what a lot of trim pieces are in size it would be costly for you to set up a tank big enough to do the pieces in.

If you do the stripping yourself as Tony said it is best to use the walnut blasting to do least amount of damage.

Ed

A lot of lamps for outside are not aluminum they are some kind of like pot metal I can't for the life of me pull the name out right now. I think my hard drive is just getting old. I will think of it
in a day or too. motoseeya

Back