Aluminum Meat Mallet

tredding

Registered
Registered
I made one in high school, about 1965. My sisters and daughters have used it and would like one for Christmas. So, as a first project, I plan to make ten of them. I have a 7X14 lathe which should manage the handle, though the taper may be tedious to make. I have a verticle mill that can easily handle the shape, and drilling and tapping for the handle. But I don't recall, now, how I made the strike pattern for the ends of the hammer. Is there a "V" milling bit?

Recapturing high school machining skills is fun, at least I think it will be.

All guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• HS_Meat_Hammer (1).png
    HS_Meat_Hammer (1).png
    528.3 KB · Views: 48
  • HS_Meat_Hammer_Head.png
    HS_Meat_Hammer_Head.png
    485.9 KB · Views: 41
  • HS_Mallet_Gauge.png
    HS_Mallet_Gauge.png
    532.5 KB · Views: 40
Angle cutter on an arbor or just grind up a tool and use a flycutter .

I'm thinking maybe a flycutter with a bit ground to shape?
Ooop Dave got it first

The mallets I've seen have pyramids, so you'd do two sets of cuts at 90 degrees to each other

Yep Mark , I think woodchucker was asking about a flat knurl yesterday . The fly cutter would be the easiest I think . Being aluminum , shouldn't have any issues . :encourage:

I have a bunch of 90deg endmills. What size do you need? Let me know and I'll send you one in the post

More than 1 way to skin a cat . Tilt the head on the mill if possible . No special tooling needed .

Ooop Dave got it first

The mallets I've seen have pyramids, so you'd do two sets of cuts at 90 degrees to each other
Right. pyramids. I just added another photo to show the pyramid pattern on the opposite face of the hammerhead.

More than 1 way to skin a cat . Tilt the head on the mill if possible . No special tooling needed .
Absolutely this, tipping the head is perfect here. The 90 degree cutters have the problem of not cutting at the 'center' and sometimes leaving a poor finish there. If you're willing to do the math as far as offset up/side/etc, just putting it in the vise at a 45 degree angle works in 2 setups.

Ooop Dave got it first

Yes, one side is straight ridges and the other side pyramids. I just posted another image with a gauge laid up againts the head with the pyramids.

Yep Mark , I think woodchucker was asking about a flat knurl yesterday . The fly cutter would be the easiest I think . Being aluminum , shouldn't have any issues . :encourage:
not me... you got me and some other member mixed up.. Is that why you never get me the stuff I am looking for... you been shipping it elsewhere? :)

Back