Aluminum Roughing End Mill: Recommendations?

It's an inch shorter. Could be why you're seeing better performance.

Good point; I didn't consider that. It also creates way different chips, leaves a near mirror finish, and doesn't "scream" like the corncob one from MariTool.

It's howling because of the length/lever action on the spindle.
Mine does the same with an end mill holder. Creates a long lever. Some sort of resonance.

Looks good, Willy. I've been meaning to try that variable helix thing for some time now. Still not sure how much difference the coating makes. My uncoated cobalt roughers seem to last forever and do not gall in aluminum so ...

I agree with the length or stickout thing. I'm sure the other guys have a better way to do it but I try to order end mills with a flute length about double the diameter or less. For a 3/8" end mill, I want 3/4" flute length. This lets me maximize my ADOC and RDOC while minimizing deflection. Getting the end of the flutes up close to the collet and using an ER collet also reduces deflection and vibration, which is what is causing that howling you guys are talking about.

Roughers are awesome but remember to size them so you have about 0.010" left to finish. As nice as the finish is with that new rougher, it will still leave marks that will need cleaning up on a presentation face.

That looks good. Now start feeding it as hard as your motor and mill can handle. That end mill can handle .01" IPT.

Back