Aluminum t slot nuts?

One thing about the steel nuts is that the widest part of the T in my table is 7/8" but the nuts that fit my 7/16" slot are usually 5/8" or 11/16", which will let the nut turn slightly in the slot and "may" do some damage over time.
Probably the best reason for making your own t-nuts is protecting the t-slots from damage. They are an important part of the precision of the machine. If you have hardened t-nuts with sharp corners and burrs, they will tear up your t-slots. Not as visible or embarrassing as top of the table damage, but probably worse for turning out accurate work. A nice fitting t-slot cleaner tool that does not gouge the slots is also a wonderful thing. Again, easy and cheap or free to make. I find I do better work with tooling I made myself, helps to change my attitude from slam-bam git-er-dun to a "I'm in no real hurry" happy smile.

Echoing Bob Korves, i think it’s important to damage the lowest thread on the t-nut so that the stud does not run through the nut and press on the bottom of the table slot. This of course could really distort the table if you were wrenching hard to hold down a part and didn’t notice what was happening. A good argument against aluminum is that it’s unlikely to resist much torquing with a single damaged thread...the rod will just reform the t-nut thread.

Very interesting discussion all. I will have to go back and damage the bottom threads on my T nuts.
Thanks
Robert

I've only made a couple, but I just didn't run the tap all the way through. Mine were steel.

Back