Aluminum vs Steel Handlebar Risers

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I didn't know whether to put this here or in the general subforum. Mods, feel free to move if desired.

I need either 3" risers or taller bars on my 09 Vulcan 900. Looking over risers out there the majority apear to be aluminum, usually billet 6061-T6 and some from 7075. When risers act only as spacers I guess they don't need the strength of steel, but what about internally threaded risers? Why aren't they made from steel, such as 4140 or 1085 whose yield strength is much greater than 6061 or about even with 7075?

Last edited:
the tensile of 6061 is still around 45,000 psi
i think you are good.

At the top of the riser is usually a clamp to hold the handlebars.
Aluminum is very "sticky" when it comes to clamping. Much more than steel that requires knurling or crushing to get that good of hold

I specifically meant this type, btw. These aren't internally threaded though. Thanks.
51j18QojrjL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Why not make your own risers from 7075. It has the strength of mild steel and is easy to work. Should be able to make exactly what you need, no?

Last night I started making 3" risers, basically M10-1.25 threaded spacers like I showed above, from 4140 since I had a bar on hand. One thing about the 4140 is it'll probably dampen the vibes a little. I've got the first riser almost done, just have to taper it for looks. If I somehow screw these risers up I may go to McMaster for 7075 since they're allowing will-call pickups again.

My bike has Apex riser clip ons and at first I was nervous that they were all aluminum but in over 10 years of use they have been solid. I would think risers would be fine in aluminum. Of course, steel will be even more solid.

Back