Always been interested ...Should i get a lathe?

Get it. If the ways aren't trashed, it's worth it. With tooling, run for it. Possibly too good to be true, so be aware.

Should you get a lathe... Asking that here is like asking a school of fish if you should get water. :D Get a mill while you're there.

I make parts for other hobbies, tools, and sometimes just chips. :)

Exactly. This is the kind of deal you should by even if you don't want or need a lathe. If it's what you say it is, then you could easily double your money overnight just by reselling it instantly.

These are the kinds of ads that typically end in one of three ways.

1. It's simply gone before you can even call the number.
2. It was indeed a misprint and they were asking $2000 and not $200
3. It was some kind of trick where they are trying to get you to pay $200 down and mo. payments after that.
4. It isn't really as advertised and there are major parts missing or broken.

The 5th scenario is always possible, but a very lucky find when it happens.

5. The ad is for real, you got there first, and BINGO, you got a great deal!

#5 happens. Hopefully for you this will be the case. But #1 is far more likely if you're wasting time posting on the Internet asking if you should buy it.

I stumbled across a #5 when someone didn't know what an Atlas mill was. Now, like the original poster, I also need a lathe to help make a couple of parts for the mill.

I watched a video where a fellow picked up, not one, but two old Harbor Freight mini lathes for $50 each. Hey they may not be the greatest machines, but for $50 a piece I too would be walking away with both of them! In fact, the guy in the video said that he sold one of them to pay for BOTH of them and provide him with some extra cash on top of that to buy some tooling.

Sometimes you just can't go wrong.

Not to change the topic, but on another forum dedicated to Curta Calculators a fellow just reported buying a Curta Calculator at an antique store for $10 this January. Go figure! Try finding one of those for under a grand. Good luck with that. Deals exist to be sure. Finding them is another story entirely.

Should i get a lathe?

:grin: Of course !

I put it off far too long. I can’t believe how much I use it.

Buy it!
Buy it!
Buy it!
Buy it!
Buy it!
Buy it!
Buy it!
Buy it!
Buy it!
Buy it!
Buy it!
Buy it!

:dancing banana:

It's so much fun spending other people's money. :grin: :grin: :grin:

So how did this one go? Did you get the machine?

Worked it out with the seller to pick it up on the 4th... said he’s gonna leave the ad up till then.... fingers crossed now

Back