Am I A Wuss

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
for having turned wood on my metal lathe?
It seemed like safe practice for turning tapers with the compound so I made up some MT taper cleaners. They get used everytime before a MT tool is inserted which gives me great comfort that the socket is clean.

IMG_1603.JPG

Last edited:
Go for it! Just clean it up good when you are done. Sawdust is somewhat abrasive and tends to pack into places you don't want it to be.

---iron shorts <ON>---

A vacuum cleaner nozzle was held at the cut to control most of the chips and dust but thanks anyways for the caution.

I've inletted several gun stocks on my mill. Just cover what you can and break out the shop vac. If you run the vac close to the cutting tools you won't have much cleanup. Use your machines to make what you need, that's what you have them for.

I just have a couple questions. 1st, what is it that you've glued on to your taper stocks, and 2nd, are you sure you spelled wuss right?

PS: I've seen Morse taper wipers some years back, but now that I'm smart enough to want a few different sizes, I can't find them any more. Seems like Grizzly had them.

pheuw, I was worried there for a moment.

The felt strips are self adhesive and sold in any hardware store to go on furniture feet. Some are precut to different round and square sizes. I got the continuous roll and cut to length. I am sure that you will recognize them. The wood was finished with floor varnish so felts would stick well. Seems like the perfect stuff to scour and hold dirt from the socket. Buy the felt first and measure its thickness so you can calculate diameters of the taper to cut.

I agonized over the spelling of wuss long enough so am ready to spell it your way. Just glad if it turns out that I aren't wun.

Real MT wipers are available and not expensive but I wanted the fun of making my own. Actually I would pit these against any I've seen so far.

Back