Am I crazy?

agshooter

Registered
Registered
So I found a Jet 1024p. I went to check it out and it hasn’t run in a while. The left oil glass was very low, indicating bearing leakage. We turned it on and the carriage wants to move even when half but not engaged. Then all of a sudden it got bound up and stopped, so quickly shut down the machine. Also the gear knobs for threading seem to be stuck.

am I crazy for still considering this as my first lathe? Too big of a project for a newbie?
Price is low this reason for temptation.

It appears that lathe has a sparate drive for the power/cross feed. If the lever is up power feed isw engaged and the carriage will move even though the halfr nuts are not engaged. The lathe apparently has a safety feature so the power feed and half nuts can't be engaged at the same time. As to the jamming, 1quite likely something is lodged in a gear tooth preventing movement.

The problems can be a powerful bargaining chip. I would offer a dirt cheap price as the lathe is not operational. The owner will probably object and your comeback can be fix it and we'll talk. Many times the owner, not wanting to get into the repair will just concede to your offer.

What would you consider dirt cheap? He is now asking $500, was $1000

Do you have some pics?
If it were me for $500 I’d probably offer $300 and see what happens.

Edit: but note that at $500 if you hesitate it might disappear before you get the chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would you consider dirt cheap? He is now asking $500, was $1000
That's difficult to say without seeing the lathe. Did he drop the te price by half after your test run or before? If the motor runs and it looks in decent shape otherwise $ 500 may not b3e a bad price. Not knowing anything, I would probably offer $250 and plan on bargaining up from there.

Yeah he was at 1,000 obo. I checked it out and pointed out all the issues. I left said I did t feel comfortable with it. He since lowered ad price to 500

What tooling was included? Sounds like a perfect project lathe.

Googling that model turns up a blog post by our own [mention]ycroosh [/mention] where he details his 1024.
I’d snap it up at $500. But I like projects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When in good working condition those lathes work quite well. I love my 1024p. There are a number of members using them to make quality parts. BamBam, if I remember correctly has two of them in his collection.

In good working condition they typically go for $1500 - $2500.

I missed it, sent offer, but it sold already. Thanks for the input fellas.
will keep looking for a lathe

Back