Am I Dreaming ??

AJ

Registered
Registered
Let me preface by saying I`m a complete newb but grew up in my Dads machine shop. I hated that shop and everything about being a machinist. I guess I was just rebelling ? Ok, 45yrs plater and it`s all I can think about for the last few years. I eat, sleep and shyte machine shop. My shot at being as good as my father has passed but I`m having a great time as he teaches me the old school ways. I put together a small hobby shop of my own with a SB10k, Heavy 10 and small chinesium mill that i`m turning into a CNC. But my dream machine since starting this late bloomer saga has been a Monarch 10EE but I don`t know anything about them(neither does dad) and I`m not skilled enough to run one to It`s potential and they`re stupid expensive for something nice. Well that all changed. Received a call from my Pop saying his good friend had died and his wife gave us first pick over his shop equipment(another small hobby shop like mine). We went over yesterday to look through his shop with the idea of overpaying for a few items to help her out financially and there it stood a 1955-56? Monarch 10EE in beautiful condition with a fare amount of tooling. I want it, I must have it ! I know NOTHING about them other then I read the drive train is an electrical nightmare. I really don`t care about that because I have a 5hp DC motor with VFD to put in it`s place but I also don`t want this to turn into a $30,000 project. The wifes price tag ? to give her what we think it`s worth, this has turned into a moral issue, LOL..
What trouble spots do I need to look for ?
Was there any issues with certain years ?
What about the ways, what`s the best way to check them for ware(straight edge and feeler gauges with a light behind it) ? I was starting to get on dads nerves with all the questions so I decided to ask here..I can get a little excited even for a 49yr old..LOL
Any and all help will be appreciated.
Pics of the 10EE in a day or two.
Pics are of my new shop machines given to me by my dad...His shop is a little messy now that he`s in his 70s but I`ll get it cleaned up in no time ! I even get my Great Grandfather 1800s Garvey Lathe.....................The last 3 are of my toys..

I think I`m going to get rid of the Sidney, way to big for me and I need to make room for the Monarch . I can now freshen Pops LeBlond with new ways.
20181104_155751.jpg20181104_155803.jpg20181104_160445.jpg20181104_160511.jpg20181104_160825.jpg20181104_161626.jpg20181104_161745.jpg20181104_162328.jpg20181104_162612.jpg20180901_163542[1].jpg20180901_163717[1].jpg20180901_170907[1].jpg

Until you've run a 10EE, you've not really experienced lathe work. Smooth and precise. Whatever you can afford for the owner won't be too much.

I'd think I was dreaming, too.

Nice Regal ! I had quite a few servo shift Regals over my time . :encourage: Don't let that one get away !

Reactions: AJ
Practical Machinest forum has a Monarch section. Everything you want to know and a lot you don't want to know about 10EE's. Some of my take aways are the 10EE has almost a cult following. Depending on year it may have rare and pricey vacuum tubes. Lots of modifications were made on machines in effort to keep them running. Complicated electricals. Heavy stable machine. Very smooth & accurate . Smallish swing and bed length.
We had one in the tool room when I was in the trade. We had about 6 engine lathes of various swings and makes and 6 Hardinge tool room lathes.
The 10EE mostly sat idle because guys would rather run something else if it was open. At the time I didn't know a 10EE from any other lathe. I ran it but really didn't see anything that made a big difference. I did think the blue glow from the tubes was pretty cool though.............Bob

I think I speak for everyone here when I say, yes you are dreaming. Any Monarch 10EE which appears in your vicinity is a tangible hallucination and should be sent to me forthwith for further study.

Congrats on the score. Don't feel you're doing the widow a bad turn by offering less than a collector would pay - it's between friends and saving a bit of hassle for the seller. Take the price an estate dealer might offer, deduct transport costs (probably around a thou for that size), and use that as your ceiling.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say, yes you are dreaming. Any Monarch 10EE which appears in your vicinity is a tangible hallucination and should be sent to me forthwith for further study.

Congrats on the score. Don't feel you're doing the widow a bad turn by offering less than a collector would pay - it's between friends and saving a bit of hassle for the seller. Take the price an estate dealer might offer, deduct transport costs (probably around a thou for that size), and use that as your ceiling.

LOL, that`s some solid advice and I will be sending the 10EE your way as soon as I get this Flux Capacitor working on the Quantar Templem multifuser...I spoke with Bett(the widow) a few hours ago and she was happy with the $2k I offered her..Not trying to lowball but I really can`t spend more without it hurting later. I told her it was worth more and she could sell it to someone else if she wanted but she "would`t hear of it". She was going to give it to me if I did`t have any money..I should have cried broke ! LOL

Nice Regal ! I had quite a few servo shift Regals over my time . :encourage: Don't let that one get away !

That Regal will never be sold, it was given to me by my father this past weekend.. All the machines in those pics are now mine... I guess my dad wants them used instead of sitting there getting rusty

You are very fortunate.
Beautiful old iron!

Back