Am I in over my head? Machine ID

I agree, I have to be sure that R & T are connected to the single phase L1 & L2, S will come from the phase generated by the static converter.

So a little update. In my quest to find a replacement motor for the clausing I found an Encno 13x40 Model 110-1351. Naturally the price was right and it now sits next to the clausing.

I know its an "import" from China but it's single phase and has all of its parts as well as a DRO.

What would the consensus of the hobby machinist be between these two lathes? I would like constructive feedback.

What is the potential resale value of the clausing? The proceeds would go towards tooling and measuring equipment which I little of.

As I stand now the encno seems like a better fit for me. I am by no means a machinist just a tinkerer, but having a lathe opens things up for me.
Thanks

Since you paid $300 for it I would advertise it for $600 due to the missing motor and other pieces. You could probably part it out on ebay for over four times that amount ($2400 or more) IF you want to invest in the time and hassle it takes to part it out.

You could price it higher than $600 but I would guess $600 would be a pretty quick sell while higher would take considerably longer to find an interested buyer.

This is coming from a guy that just wanted a little lathe to make model parts who along the way has become a guy who seems to have acquired a hobby of providing a home to and rehabilitating neat old machines.

That Clausing and Enco are not remotely on the same playing field, but there is much to be said for a machine that doesn't need a lot of work. 13x40 is a popular size lathe and there are a ton of similar lathes under different brand names being used by members on this site.

I think your biggest problem with the Clausing will be finding a buyer who can move it. I might suggest a higher price to keep beginners and bargain hunters away, but then being very open to negotiation from any buyer who has the means to take it away. I would make a point of listing the estimated size and weight in your ad. The right buyer also might have a far better trade in tooling than the cash value.

Good points. Based on similar machines for sale I feel like the clausing is worth more than $600 even considering the repairs it needs.

I have the equipment to move and load it, after that its really up to the buyer to know if they can safely move it.

I will get the Enco up and running, then I will know more. In fact I'll know more than I do about the Clausing, I have a small motor that will at least spin the gears on the Clausing which should give an idea of its condition.

Back