am I the only one who can't sharpen drill bits?

SE18

Active User
Registered
watched Toms techniques and many other videos and spent hours and just can't get the hang so it's buy more bits or get some sort of grinder to do the trick, but had trouble with those too

My first drill bit I sharpened took me a little over a week. I started with a full size one, and by the time I actually got the angle and center correct, there was only 1/4" of flute length left. It takes a lot of practice but once you have that practice, it gets easier.

I bought a drill doctor about 20yrs ago and it's paid for it self a thousand times over and by the way I can't sharpen drill bits either.

I like my drill doctor

+1 me too, makes it pretty simple and fast. Can even sharpen/create split points which can be frustrating on the grinder by hand (at least for me). Had one for years. I'm on my second.

Another for Drill DR, I was given one an it works better than I can by hand. And faster than I am. A little shake and you mess up by hand. This thing no. But if you want to do by hand, Takes a while to get the hang on it, Then you have to stay in practice or it will take a while each time you go back to it.

Ken, you must really like Drill Doctor. Posted it three times!:)

DD here too. I feel that sharpening drill bits should be in a persons skill set. When I went to school shop class the teacher gave a good explanation and demonstration then gave us all a small bit with the end ground flat. The next we were told to sharpen the bit and then drill with it to show we understood. Most of the class couldn't do it so it would drill a hole in steel. Those that had trouble were given a quick review and about a 1/2 inch bit to try again, the larger bit was much easier. In the end all in the class did complete the task. It has been a handy skill over the years but for me the DD is quick, as long as its a bit that will properly work in the Drill Doctor.

I'll let you know when I finally re-sharpen one correctly.
Picked up a Miller-Falls #7080 'Drill Grinding Attachement' this past season.
Now I just have to get it mounted, someday. soon. hopefully.
I just don't have the 'touch' to freehand it. Have watched a bunch of videos, tried, failed...

Back