• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

Amazing finish on AAMCO shaper

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
100_0094.JPG
Amazing finish on scrap aluminum from my first run of my AAmco shaper. The aluminum is part of a shaft coupling (I think) it has different size bolt holes on each side also shoulders.
The cut is smooth with light cut markings; don't think my mill drill would do better.
Have a good day
Ray

4gsr

HM Shop Superintendent
Staff member
Give us a closer up picture of the cut being made.:)

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Speaking of shapers, why does it seem relaxing to watch one run? I would love to find a small one but have never seen one close to me for decent money.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Amazing finish on scrap aluminum from my first run of my AAmco shaper. The aluminum is part of a shaft coupling (I think) it has different size bolt holes on each side also shoulders.
The cut is smooth with light cut markings; don't think my mill drill would do better.
Have a good day
Ray
Hi Ray,
sweet score on the shaper!:grin:
i'm learning too!
looks like your's is in very nice condition.
the work is looking great man!
they are the sweetest machines to hear and operate.
they remind me of a metronome, their rhythmic cadence.
i think you'll come to love yours as much as i love mine!
enjoy the time with your machines and projects!

NortonDommi

Hello Ray,
There are some good books on shapers and their use available here for download, the N.E.M.E.S. site is also a great resource as is The Internet Archive. I reckon that the finish available with a shear tool is close to a mirror finish. You will never get as good with a mill.

rock_breaker

Thanks guys, still not up to speed on pictures. I like to watch it as well and am thinking about trying to make some parallels 3/8 x 6 x1-1/2 to work on my lathe tailstock clamp. The machine runs very quietly when cutting this aluminum. The operating guides and books are good to know about- will look into them tomorrow.
Have a good day
Ray

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]