Amazing finish on AAMCO shaper

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
100_0094.JPG
Amazing finish on scrap aluminum from my first run of my AAmco shaper. The aluminum is part of a shaft coupling (I think) it has different size bolt holes on each side also shoulders.
The cut is smooth with light cut markings; don't think my mill drill would do better.
Have a good day
Ray

Speaking of shapers, why does it seem relaxing to watch one run? I would love to find a small one but have never seen one close to me for decent money.

Amazing finish on scrap aluminum from my first run of my AAmco shaper. The aluminum is part of a shaft coupling (I think) it has different size bolt holes on each side also shoulders.
The cut is smooth with light cut markings; don't think my mill drill would do better.
Have a good day
Ray

Hi Ray,
sweet score on the shaper!:grin:
i'm learning too!
looks like your's is in very nice condition.
the work is looking great man!
they are the sweetest machines to hear and operate.
they remind me of a metronome, their rhythmic cadence.
i think you'll come to love yours as much as i love mine!
enjoy the time with your machines and projects!

Hello Ray,
There are some good books on shapers and their use available here for download, the N.E.M.E.S. site is also a great resource as is The Internet Archive. I reckon that the finish available with a shear tool is close to a mirror finish. You will never get as good with a mill.

Thanks guys, still not up to speed on pictures. I like to watch it as well and am thinking about trying to make some parallels 3/8 x 6 x1-1/2 to work on my lathe tailstock clamp. The machine runs very quietly when cutting this aluminum. The operating guides and books are good to know about- will look into them tomorrow.
Have a good day
Ray

Last edited:
Back