Amazing Video Series From Clickspring: Antikythera Mechanism

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I learned of the Antikythera Mechanism in High School from my chemistry teacher, in one of many after school discussions.
He explained it as a complicated and intricate mechanical computer made by the ancients, boy he was not kidding.
i really didn't gain full appreciation for what it may have been like to build the Antikythera Mechanism until i watched Clickspring videos on the device.
he has some modern tooling, but makes most of the parts by hand and mind- creating the tools in some instances to make the part.
i find his work and attention to detail amazing, maybe you will too

this first video is the introduction

Last edited:
I follow his channel closely. Very interesting stuff and remarkable craftsmanship. It's been some time since he popped up with a video. Seems to do one once a month. I'm sorry, Chris - aka - Mr clickspring, that's just not nearly frequent enough for me.

There's a short list of YouTube guys I very much enjoy. This old Tony, Stefan goteswinter, AvE, I like abom79 but sometimes his videos bore me a bit. I just subscribed to Electroboom. An electrical engineer. He's entertaining as well as informative. Over a million subs.
One of the smaller electronics guys I like is Mr Carlson's lab. All vintage electronics.

I've been following his work for a while now and am in total awe of his work.
His descriptions and diction are superb and a lot of other video presenters could learn a heap from him.

If it takes Chris a month to produce one of his excellent videos, I'm all for it. Better that than to rush-out mediocre content, which isn't exactly in short supply. I have so many other videos to watch I can barely keep-up anyway, still a new video notification on Clickspring's channel does make me giggle like a school girl.

I always keep this picture handy for when I think my shop is too small.

clicksprings_shop.jpg

I think the clock frame is on the workbench.

Impressive work.

He works so hard to duplicate the ancient methods, but then he solders assemblies. Doubt they had silver solder back in the day. Still, I would have just made these from a billet to save time.

I feel they would have lead solder t the time. Lead was discovered before brass I believe

That’s his shop??!

Yeah, isn't that crazy?!! When I first saw the tour of his "shop", I thought, you gotta be kiddin' me..

I don't care how small his shop is, mine is still too small. LOL

Back