American Made Transfer Punch Set

Apart from being dirty, is there any problem that you can see with these tools? I've noticed a trend with newer tools
needing cleanup before use. Cost cutting, you know.

No other issue. I plan to clean them up on the lathe an use them.
Robert

I have Spellman punches and they were clean when I got them. Things have changed, it seems.

I have a cheap set of transfer punches I got from Enco 10-15 years ago. Most of them are as sharp as they were new. They have taken allot of abuse and served me well. I tend tap them lightly and do a final punch with an automatic center punch.

Randy

I'd send them back. That's pretty shabby. Not only not cleaning the working end up, but the heads are going to mushroom and that stand will be useless unless you want to clean them up after every use.

Not if they are used correctly. They are nor center punches.

Reactions: rwm
Just to clarify. I received further correspondence that I must be wrong since they quench their parts in water, not oil. That information alone did not remove the residue from my tools. I think the pic is pretty clear.
I tested a punch on the lathe and the residue comes off relatively easily with Scotchbrite. Just have to run them all. I'm sure these will work fine.
Robert

I cleaned them up and they were all fine. After cleanup you can see how much of the punch was heat treated. I would rather get them like that them get them with rust.

Did you ever think they are probably counterfeit? Also punches are never hardened full length, because when stuck with a hammer the edge chips and can penetrate your body.
Just saying
CH

So cleaning up the smaller Vidmar in at work tonight I stumbled on a brand new older un-used set of Spellmans . These seem to be coated in a cosmoline (sp) substance . They wiped right off and cleaned up nice .

Back