American Rotary Phase Converter problems

Cooped_Up

Registered
Registered
I have an American rotary phase converter that I'm not entirely sure what I killed it with but it stopped making the third leg all my motors just hum when I hook them up. the phase converter motor starts with no problem but nothing else works. if anyone knows what could be wrong let me know, I don't know if there are fuses in them or a contactor that I could have overloaded, I just don't really know what I'm looking at without a schematic.

It sounds like you are going to have to open things up and start diagnosing things with a volt meter. I would start at the motor with it running, test for voltage on the manufactured leg before the capacitors. You should see about 180v. Check voltage on the other side of each capacitor. If you have voltage in and nothing out you have found the problem.
Obviously, do not try to run your machines like this. Damage will occur.
It's probably a dead capacitor, but you have to check for voltage first.
Be careful please.

It could be a bad winding or loose wire in the motor or associated wiring or a shorted capacitor. An open capacitor
would still have a third leg but not at the optimum voltage.

I would give American Rotary a call. They have an excellent technical staff and can probably run you through the diagnostics in short order. I believe they can also supply any necessary parts you might need. I've spoken with them on several occasions.

Bad connection or fuse, maybe a cracked and broken contactor segment- Like Cat mentioned a bad cap would not cause the third leg to quit completely.
Be careful taking voltage readings with the unit running. Do a visual inspection with the power off first, the problem may be apparent
-Mark

Last edited:
I finally got around to looking at the converter, the previous owner added a splitter box so several things could be plugged in at once and one of the crimp fittings let go. Thank you all for the helpful advice! I appreciate it

Back