American Tool Works Lathe Qc Box/gears & A Bolt

MrFixIt

Registered
Registered
Looking for a couple of items here, first one is a long shot:

1911 14" ATW Tool Room Lathe. I need either the gears from the quick change gear box, or the whole gear box, will take either.

Second one is easy, a full thread 1/2-13, 2 1/2" long bolt for my spindle cap. I can find the bolts in packages of X quantity, but I don't need a quantity, just one. (Or if someone can steer me to where I can buy just one, that'd be great too!)

TIA!

-Niles

Last edited:
Niles,

Is there some specific reason for the bearing cap bolt to be threaded to the head? I have never seen a bearing cap bolt that was. If the remaining one present is, I would strongly suspect that it isn't original.

There are four bolts for this bearing cap, three of the four are original and are full thread. The one that isn't coincided with a damaged thread boss. I'm figuring the shoulder was close enough to the end of the cap that when tightened the lock washer crushed enough to allow the shoulder through the cap and make contact with the boss; causing the damage.

Fortunately there's still plenty of threaded hole to do its job and at this point the shouldered bolt can do the job just fine, but I'm inclined to replace it so it's correct if replacement can be had without hassle.

OK. You might try Ace. They, or some of them, stock a lot of uncommon fasteners and other small hardware that none of the big box stores ever carry. And you can always buy just one. Almost any of the industrial suppliers are going to sell them in quantity but not just one. If Ace doesn't have any, your only other option is probably going to be to run a die nut up the existing bolt that you have and and another quarter inch of threads.

I have a bunch of left overs (bolts) from a project I did 35 years ago. They look similar to the one's in you picture in your other post. (At least the hex looks the same) They came from a 1929 vintage lathe from another manufacture. They all used the same style of bolts back then. As soon as I can get my son to get to them for me, I'll look and see what I have and let you know. Ken

Looking for a couple of items here, first one is a long shot:

Second one is easy, a full thread 1/2-13, 2 1/2" long bolt for my spindle cap. I can find the bolts in packages of X quantity, but I don't need a quantity, just one. (Or if someone can steer me to where I can buy just one, that'd be great too!)

TIA!

-Niles

BoltDepot (http://www.boltdepot.com) lists 1/2-13 tap bolts in singles. If that is all you need shipping would make it an expensive bolt.

BoltDepot (http://www.boltdepot.com) lists 1/2-13 tap bolts in singles. If that is all you need shipping would make it an expensive bolt.

Yeah, if you replace the one, it will stick out like a sore thumb. Best to replace all four so it looks right. Not a bad price for a box of 25 in grade 5.

If Ace doesn't have any, your only other option is probably going to be to run a die nut up the existing bolt that you have and and another quarter inch of threads.

That's a good idea, that might be the way to go. I think I checked Ace, but I'll double check to be sure; you're right, they do have a lot of odd stuff that the box stores don't carry.

I'll look and see what I have and let you know. Ken

TY!

Yep, almost $6 to ship a .62 cent bolt. :/
Good site though, I save it, TY!

Ok MrFixIt,

I must ask, how thick is the bearing cap where the bolts go in?

Here's what I have, two that are threaded up to 3/4" of the head, but they are 3-1/4" long. These would have to be cut off to 2-1/2".
Next, I have one threaded up to the head that is 2-1/2". But the head is standard thickness and has the markings of "AY" on the head. AY from what I recall is a grade between a 3 and 5. It would work but would have "AY" looking at you on the head plus its thinner than those in your posted picture.

Let me know something. Ken

Ok MrFixIt,

I must ask, how thick is the bearing cap where the bolts go in?

Here's what I have, two that are threaded up to 3/4" of the head, but they are 3-1/4" long. These would have to be cut off to 2-1/2".
Next, I have one threaded up to the head that is 2-1/2". But the head is standard thickness and has the markings of "AY" on the head. AY from what I recall is a grade between a 3 and 5. It would work but would have "AY" looking at you on the head plus its thinner than those in your posted picture.

Let me know something. Ken

Either one should work, the bolt I have has a 1 1/16 shoulder on it. I'll send you a PM.
Thanks Ken!

Back