Amuse Ourselves For A Moment - What If

I've been told low teens. By the time I get the CSS and variable speed it would kill 15 large for sure. Just a SWAG on my part though...

So you're saying these are appropriate motors for a lathe? Specifically the lathe in question?
Just wondering if you thought 7.5 ft-lb of stall torque was adequate.

I guess when i said "your armature", i was clumsy in not specifying "the armature of a motor suitable for a lathe" as opposed to "the armature of any-sized motor anywhere". That was my bad grammar.

Wonder what those are generally used for? Bet they're expensive ;-)

Wrat

So you're saying these are appropriate motors for a lathe? Specifically the lathe in question?
Just wondering if you thought 7.5 ft-lb of stall torque was adequate.

I'm guessing those guys would build any spec motor you wanted if you brought them several wheel barrel loads of cash! :grin:

There are no real "gunsmith" lathes made, that is nothing more than marketing hype. There are no manufacturers of lathes that actually "gunsmithed" for a living to know exactly what the optimum machine would entail, and how every operator has differing opinions.
I have been a full time gunsmith for the last 25 years, and I can tell you that there is no single lathe to fit the entire bill. That's why I have 3 lathes, and every one of them has been modified to a certain extent to accommodate a particular purpose.

For me, a Hardinge HLVH with a bigger dia spindle bore and a longer bed

There are no real "gunsmith" lathes made, that is nothing more than marketing hype. There are no manufacturers of lathes that actually "gunsmithed" for a living to know exactly what the optimum machine would entail, and how every operator has differing opinions.
I have been a full time gunsmith for the last 25 years, and I can tell you that there is no single lathe to fit the entire bill. That's why I have 3 lathes, and every one of them has been modified to a certain extent to accommodate a particular purpose.
I couldn't agree more. Guns have been in existence for what, 400 years? Gunsmithing lathes became a marketing term within the last decade or two.

Bruce

Surprised no one is marketing a tacti-cool lathe yet. Now that would sell.

Back