An English style Bowie knife I made

george wilson

Global Moderator
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I think the English "Bowie" knives imported here commonly in the 19th. C. often have beautifully shaped blades.

This is a knife I made from D2 steel some time back. I used Ivory style paper laminated Micarta for the handle. The guard is sterling silver. I ought to take the scales off and replace them with real ivory,but haven't gotten around to it.

The Micarta is a decent substitute,though. The laminations resemble ivory's grain,and the Micarta ages to a yellow color,too.

This blade was ground freehand on my Square Wheel grinder. It is hollow ground. When D2 steel is highly polished,a myriad of interlocking triangles can be seen. I don't know of another steel where this is seen.

Unfortunately,the picture doesn't show how highly polished the blade is. If you have a highly polished blade,it will resist staining from blood longer than a less polished surface. The Germans have made many polished blades for this reason,on their hunting knives.

It is not likely that this blade will see blood,though,as I do not wish to hunt and kill the animals. I only target shoot.

_DSC0793.jpg

I like the classic style of that knife. Very nice sir.

Thanks,guys. I like to make a handle that can be held at any angle,edge down or inverted. You don't just use a knife in 1 position. A coffin shaped handle is another classic that would work. It is basically a straight handle.

Do you guys know that ivory is NOT slippery when wet? It is a good material for that reason.

Last edited:
I think the English "Bowie" knives imported here commonly in the 19th. C. often have beautifully shaped blades.

This is a knife I made from D2 steel some time back. I used Ivory style paper laminated Micarta for the handle. The guard is sterling silver. I ought to take the scales off and replace them with real ivory,but haven't gotten around to it.

The Micarta is a decent substitute,though. The laminations resemble ivory's grain,and the Micarta ages to a yellow color,too.

This blade was ground freehand on my Square Wheel grinder. It is hollow ground. When D2 steel is highly polished,a myriad of interlocking triangles can be seen. I don't know of another steel where this is seen.

Unfortunately,the picture doesn't show how highly polished the blade is. If you have a highly polished blade,it will resist staining from blood longer than a less polished surface. The Germans have made many polished blades for this reason,on their hunting knives.

It is not likely that this blade will see blood,though,as I do not wish to hunt and kill the animals. I only target shoot.

Nice job. I have no idea how to even begin making a knife. Thanks for sharing.

Back