An ER25 collet for Van Norman #6

WalterC

Registered
Registered
I made a 5c style tool holder and fitted a ER25 collet having a 5/8" shaft to it using set screws set at 180* on the tool holder. Seeing the set screws were not strong enough, I decided to weld it in place. I made sure my runout was still at .0005", and proceeded to carefully make my tack weld. I reinstalled the tool holder and to my surprise still maintained the .0005". I'm much more satisfied with this arrangement and I knew I was taking a chance welding it in place, but I was willing to take this chance.

IMG_1719.JPG

I later realized I had a good stock of R8 collets I bought at a garage sale. The indexer takes 5c collets. So I made an adapter to use the R8's in the 5c indexer.
IMG_1826.JPG
IMG_1827.JPG

It works just fine with both pins in place. And now I have a lot more to work with.

Looking good. What does your Van Norman no6 normally take in the spindle?

It takes the 5c collets. Hard to find and expensive beyond reason. I bought one to measure and use for duplication's, except I use an internal draw bar thread on the ones I make.

It takes the 5c collets. Hard to find and expensive beyond reason. I bought one to measure and use for duplication's, except I use an internal draw bar thread on the ones I make.
Don't you mean Van Norman "C", aka Hardinge 5V?

I was told it was the old 5v but is called the 5c now. The Van Norman 5c I bought fits it perfectly. You may correct me if I'm wrong.

5C collets are commonly used on lathes and are much larger collets, going up to 1-1/8" ID. Van Norman called the collets for the No. 6 and No. 12 millers C collets. Since there are several companies with 'C' collets, Hardinge labeled their Van Norman compatible collets 5V, the "V" standing for Van Norman. A lot of people will call the Van Norman collets 5V, but the correct designation is Van Norman C. Van Norman also offered a No. 2 collet series for larger machines, and those collets are about the size of a 5C collet.

The C part of the Hardinge 5C comes from their early line of Cataract lathes. Hardinge made a series of Cataract collets from 1C, with a 1/4" ID up to 7C, with a 1-11/16" ID. link

Back