An initial tool grinding capability

Clock work

Registered
Registered
I currently have to freehand my lathe tools (doable except the really small ones) and farm out sharpening my mills. Down the road, I'd like to be able to handle it all quickly in-house and add D-bits to the list but for now, I'm interested in getting at least part way into that set of capabilities with my next project... I'm about to make a much beefier table for my 8" Delta grinder... the arms coming off the wheel guards are very spindly. On that table, I'd like to have some fixturing to QUICKLY do some lathe tools and maybe some end mills sans flutes. My reading leads me to believe something like a Harold Hall or Accurate/Eccentric rig, and there are I'm sure others. Down the road into something along the lines of a Deckel knock off perhaps.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Nothings leaping out at me as a best choice. Thanks.

Actually a second one.. In Stefan G's video of his Deckel knock-off he said, I believe, that it was not rigid enough for flutes and that it ruins the end mills for plunging. Are those two things true? I would think either one of those would be a show-stopper for most.

CW

A Gorton 375 might be better than the Deckel, it has a sliding sleeve to do flutes; so far as ruining an end mill is concerned, if the center is cleared (by hand) so that it looks like a pre sharpened end, it should work OK, that is what I do. A Gorton 500 cutter sharpener will sharpen end mill ends but not flutes, a Gorton 265 will do "D" bits. The 375 would have enough power to do lathe bits, but would be limited on collet capacity.

A Gorton 375 might be better than the Deckel, it has a sliding sleeve to do flutes; so far as ruining an end mill is concerned, if the center is cleared (by hand) so that it looks like a pre sharpened end, it should work OK, that is what I do. A Gorton 500 cutter sharpener will sharpen end mill ends but not flutes, a Gorton 265 will do "D" bits. The 375 would have enough power to do lathe bits, but would be limited on collet capacity.

Thank you for putting those on my screen. Pretty neat looking machines. I can't ever recall seeing one come up but I'll be paying attention when one does. Appreciated.

Bob... thanks. The attachment didn't show but I know exactly which video it was. Thanks. Yes.. .over the top but we might as well be doing something before they throw dirt on us:)

Good input on my phase 2 options but in terms of the next step as I build out the grinder table, further reading leads me to believe the eccentric approach can't do flutes so probably will move towards Harold Hall's solution. Of course, I will assiduously document my failures, injuries and equipment damage for the cause of science.

CW

Yeah. I'm close to pulling the trigger on that but I want to talk to someone from the site, no contact info though.

Back