An interesting small parts mandrel for the lathe......

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi Everyone,

I got this item in a sealed bag of various bits from my local used tool store.
I wasn't sure just what it was until I got a chance to open the bag and see it close-up.

mandrel1.jpg

The left-most knurled ring is split and locks to the shaft:
mandrel2.jpg

mandrel3.jpg

The knurled ring toward the centre is threaded onto a spigot on the other one, with an o-ring between:
mandrel4.jpg

With the left-most knurled ring locked to the shaft the second one can be used to apply pressure to the moveable jaw.

The moveable jaw is ...well ...just that ......moveable(sorry for the end-to-end flip):
fingers2.jpg

fingers1.jpg

There is a manufacturer name on it, but it's hard to make out:
name1.jpg

Maybe "Buche" ?

Here it is holding various random small items I could find laying around the shop:
use1.jpg

use2.jpg

use3.jpg

Both ends have centres:end1.jpg

end2.jpg

...and the big end has a flat for driving.

I have NOT used it yet, but it appears very well made.
If anyone knows the real manufacturer name or original purpose, I'd be interested in knowing.

-brino

mandrel1.jpgmandrel2.jpgmandrel3.jpgmandrel4.jpgfingers1.jpgfingers2.jpgname1.jpgname2.jpguse1.jpguse2.jpguse3.jpgend1.jpgend2.jpg

That’s pretty neat.
cheers
martin

I remember there was talk about those here yrs ago but I can't remember what they called them. No idea what to search for to even find that thread. Hopefully someone remembers.

Edit: N/M, I was mistaken

Last edited:
I was originally wondering if it was for jewelry (rings) but the OD of the tapers is only 0.581 (14.76mm) way to small for my rings......
-brino

@darkzero Thanks for that Will!

That little one looks exactly like mine.

I do NOT have a thread-on piece that would positively square the work.
The "inside" knurled part only has a small hole on the inboard side, and so cannot be turned around.

Thanks again for the info!
-brino

Whatever they are they look cool. I'd love to have some just because. Nice score Brino!

Never seen one like that . Cool ! :encourage:

Back