An Interesting Video re: Grizzly

I was waiting for the origin of the company name: " I was camping when I was suddenly attacked by a bear!- fortunately I had a small drill press in my backpack with which I was able to fend him off, hence the name Grizzly"

I think it's a fine company and have good products but I don't like them adding a handling "surcharge" for shipping to CA on top of already pricey shipping.

RANT 1 ON: Yes, the republic of California is special. Can't wait to immigrate from California to the US when I retire so I have some elbow room and not pay through the nose for living in a house that's barely bigger than the chicken coop. /RANT 1 OFF

RANT 2 ON: Yes, Grizzly has been adding a special CA handling surcharge now and that really gets under my skin. These old school companies will fold soon because forward thinking companies like Amazon keep getting more creative. The funny thing is I can have the Chinese folks ship me machine tools directly from China for $1.79 yet I pay $13-$30 on avg deliveries from companies like Grizzly. /RANT 2 OFF

The funny thing is I can have the Chinese folks ship me machine tools directly from China for $1.79 yet I pay $13-$30 on avg deliveries from companies like Grizzly. /RANT 2 OFF
Thats because it is cheaper to ship an item from China, then it is to ship something across the US. Many years ago, in the early days of postage, the countries agreed that for international postage, the sending country only has to get it to the other country, then the receiving countries Post Office is responsible to get it to the individual. The theory was that the shipping in the various countries would somewhat even out. China subsidizes the cargo boats delivering the cargo, So all the Chinese shipper needs to do is get the item to the port, or one of several offices throughout the country. After that, it costs them nothing.

I do not know how they can ship an item from the US cheaper, I suspect it is part of the so called international trading zones, so they still get the same deal.

When I worked for DHL, they had a deal with HP, Dell, and a few others where they claim they broke even, or even lost some, but it kept the freight trucks fuller, which lowered overall costs. Was explained to me several times, but I never really understood the theory.

Valid point there but my point is they need to become creative in their business model if they want to survive against companies like Amazon and even Walmart (which too was forced to reinvent themselves for the new era we live in) and not nickel and dime the customer. The customer has choices, why should I buy from Grizzly if I can get the same part from China for less and not see a list of 'surcharges' and taxes on my invoice like the phone companies used to tack on? BTW many of the Chinese companies have created local depots in the US so they ship an entire container to the US and it sits somewhere. Then the delivery to my house sometimes takes as little as a day! Companies like Grizzly and Eastwood etc don't stand a chance with their same 20+yr old mentality. This is what happens when people at the top are too old school and don't want to change. Another success story is Harbor Freight, they have a huge customer base now when majority of their business is brick and mortar stores...quite the opposite of say Sears.

Back