[4]

An unfortunate learnt something new lesson

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
As some will know I have been doing a lot of straight knurling in stainless steel of late.
I use a cam jack knurler to really apply the pressure required to get full depth knurls with no double tracking.
I'm very happy with the results but learnt a valuable lesson unfortunately the hard way the other day.
I wiped the finished knurl along its length with a rag to get a good look at it and all was well untill I picked up another tool whereupon I felt the splinters in my thumb that had gone clean through the rag.
BUT, I couldnt see them or even feel them lightly passing a finger over where I thought they were.
Nope, they hadnt gone, just so fine they couldnt be seen.
Even with a 10x loup I could barely see them, I swear they were finer than prickly pear hairs and even more irritating.
I checked a couple of the finished knurls that still had oil on them and there they were, long but ultra fine hair like swarf sitting in the grooves.
I usually use a very thin oil for lubricating the knurling and I think this flushes the fine swarf out but this time had run out and used a thicker oil.
A good wash got rid of them and the ones in my thumb appear to have eventually worn away.

T Bredehoft

Active User
Fortunate you are that the wires in your thumb didn't stay behind to cause problems.

WCraig

Registered
I've never knurled (is that a proper expression?) but I'd like to know more. I think I saw a video where the presenter brushed the freshly knurled and still rotating part with a stiff brush. I believe this was to knock off any swarf and such splinters. Is this a good approach?

Craig

NortonDommi

Brass
Registered
WCraig, yes it's a good idea. I have a short narrow scratch brush that gets run over a fresh knurl running at slow speed then in reverse.
Savarin, #metoo.

savarin

Active User
For cross hatch knurles I usually use a wire wheel running along both diagonals in a drill whilst the part is rotating first one way then the other.
This removes all the sharp edges. I havnt done it to these straight ones this time because they are quite small.
I will do next time.

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
One of my first experiences with stainless splinters was jumping up and sitting on a bench where someone was cleaning up welds with a carbide burr bit and die grinder . You won't make that mistake twice .

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Have you ever noticed that sometimes a knurl just doesn't cooperate very well? I have found that certain diameters
work better than others. If I am having a problematic knurl, I will machine off a couple thousandths and try again. Usually
it goes better on the second try tracking better and producing a nicer knurl. In theory, knurling is not a machining operation
but rather metal forming.

Savarin, sorry you got the splinters. We have all been there and it isn't much fun. That needely stuff is the worst.

BGHansen

Savarin,

So glad to hear the outcome was just splinters. I started to cringe when I read "rag" and "knurling", was sure hoping the two didn't meet while the lathe was running. Thanks for the tip on the splinters.

Bruce

Superburban

Have you ever noticed that sometimes a knurl just doesn't cooperate very well? I have found that certain diameters
work better than others. If I am having a problematic knurl, I will machine off a couple thousandths and try again. Usually
it goes better on the second try tracking better and producing a nicer knurl. In theory, knurling is not a machining operation
but rather metal forming.
Somewhere there is a math formula that takes into account the spacing of the knurling tool, that gives you the best diameter to start with to get a perfect knurl.

Shootymacshootface

Registered
Sometimes you have to wait 2 or 3 days for the splinters to turn black to find them all. I know that you said that you were working with stainless. I would expect that to darken as well, unless it's a higher grade of stainless steel.

NortonDommi

Brass
Registered
Somewhere in one of my safe places I have that formulae for knurling. Had a quick look through some old stuff and found an old article about knurling that might help someone. I'll see if I can find that formulae.

PopSciMech_2_262.jpg

PopSciMech_2_263.jpg

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
Thanks for the warning, Savarin. I woulda never guessed it. Havent seen this problem with all the aluminum and brass that I've knurled.

savarin

Active User
Bruce, the lathe was stopped so I just ran the rag along the length as it was a straight knurl, I dont do that to cross hatch knurls. as you said, the thought of a rag caught up and spinning is a tad scary.
Shootymacshootface, they've turned black today, cant feel them but there they are just laying under the skin. 2 left.
I used to use the formula to turn the piece to the "correct" size but now if I see double tracking I just crank down harder till it looks correct. I dont think I could have knurled this stainless with a conventional (push) knurler.

MSD0

Registered
As some will know I have been doing a lot of straight knurling in stainless steel of late.
I use a cam jack knurler to really apply the pressure required to get full depth knurls with no double tracking.
I'm very happy with the results but learnt a valuable lesson unfortunately the hard way the other day.
I wiped the finished knurl along its length with a rag to get a good look at it and all was well untill I picked up another tool whereupon I felt the splinters in my thumb that had gone clean through the rag.
BUT, I couldnt see them or even feel them lightly passing a finger over where I thought they were.
Nope, they hadnt gone, just so fine they couldnt be seen.
Even with a 10x loup I could barely see them, I swear they were finer than prickly pear hairs and even more irritating.
I checked a couple of the finished knurls that still had oil on them and there they were, long but ultra fine hair like swarf sitting in the grooves.
I usually use a very thin oil for lubricating the knurling and I think this flushes the fine swarf out but this time had run out and used a thicker oil.
A good wash got rid of them and the ones in my thumb appear to have eventually worn away.
I spend at least half an hour every week under a microscope with a scalpel blade and tweezers digging splinters out of my hands.

Asbestos

When I was much younger I had a job at a Borg-Warner plant taking apart pieces of transmissions. we did this for about 3 weeks. About 4 days after we were done I woke up with one hand that was about 2.5 times the size of the other. It did not hurt but it was so swollen that I could not shut it. Doc poked around and pulled out a tiny metal splinter I did not even know was there.

[5] [7]