And another Atlas horizontal mill rebuild.

Oh yeah almost forgot to mention,

When I bought the Atlas horizontal mill (MF) it also came with a bunch of tooling. I'm talking about a hundred or more end mills, woodruff cutters and wheel cutters. I have the arbor (7/8" I think) and a few other cutting attachments. When I found this mill and also a Craftsman 101-27440 lathe with quick change gear box. The guy who sold them to me had the Atlas original indexing centers. But when I went to pick them up, for some reason or another the indexing side got lost in all the loading of everything.

You can see in the pictures above that the table the mill is sitting on is not original.

Nice looking mill!

I have no need for one but know that I want one.

Since using the one that was lent to me, I have found they are very useful. After seeing what some of them are selling for I know I will never have one of my own. That goes for a real vertical miller also. But this little Atlas squared up the ends of 2 tubes that were a bit long for my mini-lathe in about 10 minutes. Otherwise I would have had to try squaring them up by hand on a belt sander. And we all know the tubes could end up shorter than wanted before that happens.

Nice job on the resto OC.

And welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the club! And a nice looking job you did on the mill.
How about some pics of the tooling? Index Centers, I just want to drool over the keyboard again! LOL...

Nice looking mill Orangecrush. I'm noticing the solid instead of spoked handwheels - never seen those before. Wonder if they are a previous owner modification. I have an MF as well that I'm putting back together, serial number 976.

-frank

Thank you everyone for your reply,

I am so glad I found this forum, with all the Atlas horizontal mill rebuilds here I'm sure I'll learn more about my mill. I tore it down to the last bolt and cleaned it up and then painted it. As you can see in the above pictures I still need to put the motor on and a couple of other things. One thing I didn't do was to take the spindle apart, because when I was going over everything. The spindle was in good condition compared to the rest of the mill. All of the gears look like they have been barely used in the Change-O-Matic.

As far as the handwheels, yes they are not the original spoke type that came with these old mills. I'm not sure why whoever owned it before me change them out for the solid handwheels. But I have seen some other Atlas horizontal mills with solid handwheels like mine. So who knows why I have the solid handwheels compared to the spoke type?

Also, the serial number on my mill is 003446 and it is a MF.

I'll take some pictures of all the tooling I got with the deal so you guys can see what I have. But like I said, I probably have over a hundred end mills of various sizes and shapes, woodruff cutters, corner rounding end mills, and wheel cutters / slitting cutters.

Both the mill and lathe came with tooling. But for this thread I am just mentioning the mill and what I got for it. I'll have to create a new thread for my Craftsman 101-27440 lathe and show you what I got with it. And please don't get confused with my statement about the indexing centers. When I was talking to the guy who I bought the mill and lathe from. He sent me a picture of the indexing centers, and when I went there the first time to look at everything. He had the indexing centers sitting on the lathe thinking that they went with it. Of course I knew what they were for and knew that they went with the mill. I didn't make a big deal out of it because we were still in the negotiation process and I knew how much these indexing centers cost on eBay.

But when I went to pick up the mill and lathe. I guess in the confusion of loading everything on my trailer and my SUV. And during the Texas heat, I was more worried about how I was going to tie everything down so it didn't fly off my trailer. When I got everything back to my shop, I started unloading all the tooling that was in my SUV and noticed that the indexing centers piece was missing. So now I have the indexing center piece with the center and not the other side with the gears!!!

Unfortunately I didn't get a vise to go with the mill and that is something I really need!!! I have looked and looked for a vise that will fit on the mill. But they are either too big or too small for my needs and this little mill. And the ones you find on eBay, you would think that they are made out of gold or something with the prices people are asking for them!!!

Little Machine Shop has a vice that fits well enough for me. It does restrict the Y axis travel by about 1/4 or 1/2 inch.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1647&category=

By the way, I recommend that you try to find that missing index center. The prices they go for on eBay are silly.
Are you talking about the little 1647/ 3" vise? Did it come with the swivel base for $65 bucks? And yes, you are right about the indexing center piece. The problem is that the guy who I bought the mill and lathe from has no idea where it could be. And I have looked and looked all over my shop for it and can't find it anywhere!!!

Back