And another Atlas horizontal mill rebuild.

Steve,

The bushings were made for solid round shank cutters. The flats were ground until there was a gap in the middle. When you put a solid shank in the bushing, the OD of the shank actually sticks out through the gap enough that the nose of the set screw tightens against the shank and doesn't push on the flat surface of the bushing. So it doesn't deform it. If you put a Weldon style cutter shank in the bushing, the only thing that the set screw touches is the flat in the bushing. So it only holds the cutter by deforming the flat in the bushing into the gap in the cutter shank. After that happens, you can't get the bushing off of the cutter.

This is OT but Hurricane Harvey finally left the theater. And the sun came out this afternoon just before sundown. Most of us at least in my area will be basically over it by the end of the week. The thousands of people who were flooded out won't be over it for months, if ever. Unfortunately, it left behind a two problems involving two rainfall runoff reservoirs known as Barker and Addicks. I won't go into Problem #1 but #2 is probably flooding a large number of additional homes along Buffalo Bayou tonight. Including maybe one belonging to my step-daughter and son-in-law. We should know tomorrow.

That sounds promising, the sunshine that is.

I had the fortune of chatting with a nice gentleman from Houston area at my work today. When he said that his neighbourhood and home was part of the mandatory evacuation I was stunned. Here he was, continuing his vacation that he started before the event, and seemed quite blasé about the whole affair! I think he could sense my stumbling for words because he elaborated to the effect that they could do nothing, they could not return home now anyway, and after all it was just a house that could be fixed when they eventually could return. They, he said, would survive and move on. His neighbours however, those who elected to stick it out, were the ones he was concerned about. He feared that their scars would last the rest of their lives.

Remarkable resolve, I thought.

Glad things are not too bad for you, Robert.

-frank

Yeah, assuming that the wind doesn't blow over one of my oaks before the ground dries out a bit, I'm only out five or six days watching the weather news on TV and worrying about the storm and the kids instead of doing something useful. I think that the guy you were talking to had the right attitude. If he had been at home, there wasn't much that he could have done useful anyway. And he would have probably paid more for lodging (if he could have found any) than he was in Victoria. Plus IAH and HOU have both been closed to civilian traffic for the past several days. And it wouldn't have done him any good to fly into SAT or DFW and rent a car as both I-10 and I-45 have been closed due to flooding until yesterday for I-10. I think I-45 is still closed.

However, the sooner he returns home after the water goes down and gets a crew started on repairs, the better off he will be. Plus there is some issue about a change in the law in Texas or in the US (I won't have a claim to file so didn't pin down the details) effective 01 September that makes it financially to his benefit to get the flood claim filed by Thursday the 31st. Assuming that his house actually flooded and that he has flood insurance of course. Statistics are supposedly that only one in six of those owners who were flooded out have any. There may have been some mandatory evacuations where not all of the homes actually flooded. But not many. I know that there were a lot of voluntary ones where all of the houses did flood. If you know how to contact him, you might mention that to him.

Last edited:
I'm just glad you are doing well after Harvey!!! Sounds like it could have been worse for you. Hopefully everyone that was affected by Harvey will be back to normal soon!!! I can't imagine how bad it was being north of you.

But yeah I get what you are saying about those bushings. Like I said before, most of my end mills are the type with the flats on them. But can't I use them by turning them around in the bushing so that the flat area is on the opposite side? It would be nice because I have so many of the smaller end mills with the flat side on them. Whoever owned this mill I have now had been using these bushings in the 1/2" arbor I have (actually I have a couple of them) and apparently didn't have any problems with this setup.

I guess I'll find out when I start using them!!! LoL

This afternoon, we finally saw video footage from a helicopter of the flooding just to the West of us from the Corps trying to draw down the two reservoirs to be ready for the next rain event. And also to try to prevent uncontrolled discharge caused by rainwater running into the reservoirs from the heavy rains to the north west of here. I almost wish that I hadn't seen it. I may have nightmares.

Yes. To safely use the Weldon shank cutters with shank diameters smaller then 1/2" with bushings in your 1/2" ID holders, just rotate the cutter so that the flat on its shank is on the opposite side of the holder from the flat in the bushing. I would remove the unused set screw,

Back