And another GL1000, my 5th so.... Johnny 5!

Very nice. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Ted

That sounds great!
What did you find with the coolant leak?
Left head gasket. Had one on hand. Old one was really shot.
8fc7bd925ebbcb3fe62db41ace940876.jpg

Sorry no updates for a spell. Head gasket job went easy and I got it together enough to test run and test ride. Next came prep and paint. I don't really like or have a good setup for that. 100' of air line to the wife's garden shed that I have to pull her Kaw mule out of first. After leveling it is primed with rattle can Duplicolkr etching primer. Then Duplicolor Paint Shop black and gold lacquer mixed 4:1, then mask at the break lines and paint the outside 3:2 mix, then Spraymax Glamor clear coat rattle-can. Looking forward to good weather so I can really get some miles on it.
4e01afebaa79fb581684fa52efc57c2e.jpg

There has been shared riding time betwen the '78, '79, and '06. The '78 (Johnny 5) was not wanting to take throttle nicely. I finally pulled the rack again. #3 plug has always indicated very lean. I discovered a 130 air jet instead of a 120 and corrected that. Polished all vacuum pistons and domes (again). Since these are '77 carbs I added a #4 washer under each needle. I had used 120 slow air jets (correct for the engine year). Replaced them with 110 (correct for the '77 carbs). Also discovered a crack and peripheral leak on one of the buttons . Sealed it with super glue. Did not have time to balance today. Just set all pilot screws to 3 1/2 turns out and rode. What a difference! If I get time after mowing tomorrow I will balance them.

Rode Johnny 5 for our club's 2020 resurection challenge yesterday. Only 50 miles for the ride, but another 50 to get there and back. Nearing 90 F when I rode home. Ran (in general) rough cruising, good idle, good acceleration but rough cruise. I suspect the advance is sticky as it seems to go from good @~2k to rough to good ~2.8k in most any gear or throttle position. So, that will come off and be polished/lubed this week. Will also try Randakk's added condenser ground.

Learned something else about her tonight - she runs good in the rain!
Oh, and she is now for sale, too.

Back