And So It Begins...

ThunderDog

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

I recently finished working on a horizontal mill of some unknown origin. You can check it out over at the Antique and Vintage Sub-forum. Here is the link. But, no sooner did I finish it is when I found the mill I really wanted, an Atlas Horizontal Mill. I've heard good things about them and they seem to have more options than my unknown mill. At least I can find documentation about an Atlas. I don't have much space in my garage, so a benchtop milling machine fits the bill.

There are a few downsides to it. First, the overarm and overarm support were missing when I bought it. Actually, the remnants of the overarm were included. The previous owner had the overarm welded to a vertical attachment.:mad: And to add further insult to it they cut off a portion of it.:eek: Finally, the coveted arbor was also missing. I've already started collecting diagrams/drawings for the arbor over at the Yahoo groups. Regardless, I am determined to put this thing back into good working order.

Anyway, just thought I would share my recent progress. It will be an ongoing process.

Putting Part 2 up so it's easy to find in the thread.

Here's Part 3 for easy finding.

Last edited:
Nice job on the "New" Mill.
I've been looking for one of those also.
Hope you find all of the missing pieces.

I'd love to have any benchtop mill because all I have now is drill press with a cross slide for milling. But unfortunately I have no money left for such extravagant items.

But I am glad you found what you wanted. As well as the one you rebuilt.

TD,

Cleaned-up PDF's of the factory drawings of both size arbors, arbor nuts, and one width of each diameter spacer are in DOWNLOADS here. And in FILES on the main Atlas_Craftsman Group and the Atlasmillingmachineandshaper Group on Yahoo. Also included is an original (uncleaned) factory drawing of one of the arbor nuts showing why I didn't spend the time to clean up the other spacer size drawings.. All of the spacers in each diameter are the same except for width. None of them show a keyway.

This is why I like this forum. So much help from the community. Spiral_chips, I was already thinking the same thing with speedymetals. I've ordered from them several times and I'm very satisfied with their service. In fact the arbor I made was 1144 Stressproof from speedymetals.

Wa5cab, appreciate the info that is here. Thanks.

Been there done that! I purchased mine sometime during the summer of 2015 but didn't finish it until December 2016. I like your nail and pliers trick to get the drive screws out of the tag.

I believe you want to flip one of those two stacked table feed M6-101-64 gears over so the teeth line up.

Hi ThunderDog, man you do some nice work! The Atlas looks like new, almost to good to turn back on... LOL.

You also have some really nice videos too. I'm lovin' the lathe projects right now. Thanks and it's great to see you here.

Just now stumbled on this thread.
Excellent. I like usually use Van Norman mill horiz mode!!
You are gonna like this....

Daryl
MN

Thanks everyone.
34_40, I wish I could do better. There are more mistakes and screw-up's than those videos let on. :p But, it's the mistakes that keep teaching the most.

Uglydog, I'm almost there.

Back