Angle Grinder & cutting roundbar

I retired from working at an acid plant, lots of 316L SS. We used an angle grinder with cut off blades on a daily basis. The grinders that we found to be the best were the Walter 4-1/2".Made in Germany and pricey @ about $300.00 each. We used the Walter 3/32 wheels made for SS and Steel. The best wheel available, these were flat not depressed centers.The company tried to buy some cheaper disks but they blew up on regular basis. Those disks were eventually banned from the property. Now I don't expect you to buy an expensive grinder but don't cheap out on the disks. The Walter disks lasted the longest. Just remember they are made for cutting DO NOT try to grind with them, even the good ones will explode with pieces all over the place. As mentioned above ware gloves and a shield and DON'T force the cut and you'll be fine

I go through around 100 cut off wheels every year. I use the six inch ones. They last
so much longer than the 4" ones. The best advice i can give is learn how to hold the
grinder so it does not get ripped out of your hands. Also watch for long lengths of
steel to pinch your blade while cutting. I like the Dewalt grinder the best. Good wheels
can be bought off E-bay for under $1.00 each when buying 100+ at a time. I had one wheel
when new come apart right at the bolt and fly away like a frisbee never to be seen again.

Back