Angle grinder disc fitted up on bench grinder finished

Moper361

Registered
Registered
Has anyone here ever tried to fit a 7 inch angle grinder disc on a bench grinder .I am planning on trying it so as the issue of grinding on the side of a proper bench grinder wheel is not an issue as a angle grinder disc is designed to do this .

As you can see from the pics below I plan to make a spigot with an internal thread and then a shaft this would the threaded spigot would retain the belt sander wheel in place of the nut and then the shaft would be turned down to 22 mm for the disc to go onto ,there would be 2 sandwich washers just like an angle grinder uses to retain the grinder disc .Also the disc would have support from the belt sander wheel as this is same diameter .I think it would make life easier being able to just change a disc rather than reglueing sand paper onto the old disc every time it needs to be replaced like it is now

The grinding disc would be well within its rpm limits 5000 rpm but still usable at 2600 rpm as this is my bench grinder rpm .It would not be for large jobs but just gives and option of grinding on the side of a wheel .i would also use it for sharpening drill bits with my jig . The spigot shaft would look something similar to the rough sketch I attached and from the pictures I think you can see what I plan to do .

Is it a feasible idea ?
Any warnings or advice appreciated
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Worth a shot I suppose, but angle grinders only use a small portion of the flat part of the disc as they are consumed in normal use, while the outside diameter gets smaller and smaller. The discs are reinforced with fibers to add strength for their designed use. As you would wear down the flat portion of the disc in your application it would gradually degrade it's over all strength, and could violently self destruct. Thinking a cup style wheel might work better for you. Mike

Worth a shot I suppose, but angle grinders only use a small portion of the flat part of the disc as they are consumed in normal use, while the outside diameter gets smaller and smaller. The discs are reinforced with fibers to add strength for their designed use. As you would wear down the flat portion of the disc in your application it would gradually degrade it's over all strength, and could violently self destruct. Thinking a cup style wheel might work better for you. Mike
Yes Mike you would need to be aware of the discs wear limits just like any wheel I guess if grinding on the side and you run down to the reinforcing you would change the disc at a low cost as angle grinder disc are cheap . I do not indent on doing hard work with it basically light work .I don't think a cup wheel would give enough area for my indented use that's why I'm thinking along these lines of disc
Regards Nat

Let us know how you get on, I to am fed up with changing the sanding disks
B

Let us know how you get on, I to am fed up with changing the sanding disks
B
That is my main reason trying this out as changing those sanding discs out is not fun and usually needs doing at the most inconvenient time . I think once you run a piece of carbon steel across the disc a couple of times it would reduce the initial roughness of a grinding disc of and should be smooth enough for sharpening drills and general grinding .I plan to machine up an spigot tomorrow I'll post here how it works out

You probably will end up dressing it flat if you intend to do any tool sharpening that has straight edges.

You probably will end up dressing it flat if you intend to do any tool sharpening that has straight edges.
Possibly Tony ,It's not a lot of work to experiment a bit and see .It would just make life easier in the long run and I've not got a lot of outlay $1.50 for a disc and a bit of stock which I have already it's only a bit of my time and you never know till you try it .It may well do what I'm hoping for

It might at that. One more element of concern possibly, and that is the lack of very fine grinder discs if you needed them. Although........for a price I know they do make smallish diamond/borazon type disks for concrete floor polishing. Of course, large areas are done with something like 20" disks, but there are smaller machines to accompany them to work in small spaces and in corners that the bigger machines simply can't get into. They mount to a handheld machine about the size of a router. I picked up a couple of discards from a job a few years ago planning on doing something with them someday. Not sure how much life there is in them, but they are very fine.

Today I finished my adaptor to fit a seven inch grinder disc on my bench grinder .Its all fitted up and a little messing around to true up run out on the disc and I ran some carbon steel across the disc followed by some tool steel this was to take the very coarseness of a new disc away this smoothed it of a little .i then fitted my drill sharpening jig back up as this is what I originally planned to fit the disc for to eliminate grinding on the side of a stone wheel and also to not have to change emery pads that used to be on the side of the belt attachment .there is no viabration and the disc is running well bellow max rpm limit so feel safe with it all .It seems to grind the drill bits better than the emery and less heat is produced ,The finish is ok and sharpens bits no problems and no apparent were on the disc .image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back