Angle grinder disc fitted up on bench grinder finished

You probably will end up dressing it flat if you intend to do any tool sharpening that has straight edges.
Hi Tony just for your interest i tried some hercus lathe tool steel on the angle grinder disc attached to my belt sander project .well i am very supprised it tears tool steel away in no time flat with not a lot of heat .It does not leave a mirror finish however fine for what im doing .there is basically now wear to the disc either .here is a pic or 2 of a peice of tool steel i roughed out from just a straight end its not a miror finish but ok for what im doing it took about 3 minutes to rough out and not a lot of heat was produced i was holding tbe tool steel by hand

1519201015848272275839.jpg

15192010758071913149834.jpg

1519201109467604384298.jpg

Let us know how you get on, I to am fed up with changing the sanding disks
B
Brian its all good best thing ive done in a long time carves hss up no time flat and shapens drills bits etc no problem

Another one to add to the list.
Thanks for posting.
Brian.

Nice. Just goes to show, you don' know until you give it a shot. I had my doubts, but it appears to do a great job and the lack of heat build up is a definite plus. What grit disc did you use? Might be interesting to try a finer one, and if the finish improves maybe have a second one set up on another motor for final dressing, or just tune with a stone. Cheers, Mike

Another one to add to the list.
Thanks for posting.
Brian.
Nice. Just goes to show, you don' know until you give it a shot. I had my doubts, but it appears to do a great job and the lack of heat build up is a definite plus. What grit disc did you use? Might be interesting to try a finer one, and if the finish improves maybe have a second one set up on another motor for final dressing, or just tune with a stone. Cheers, Mike
Haha Mike its just an off the shelf regular 7 inch grinder disc it feels quite course to touch but seems fine when grinding with it .I will keep my eyes on the look out for finer grit if available if notavailable im happy with it as is im sure if you hunted arou d you could maybe get finer grit

Regards Nat

I have quite a few different grits for my 4" grinders. Have always just had coarse for the 9", as it's used for quick removal on heavier material. Your finish seems fine, but you know how it is, always chasing unicorns. Mike

Looks like a success to me. I imagine the main reason it stays as cool as it does is that the grit is fairly coarse. This is fine for rapid stock removal, but I would think a little stone work on the edge would eliminate any issues that might arise from that. If you get a finer wheel, you may start to get some heat buildup.

Glad your project is working. Not sure how to say this but I hope you are considering guards around the disk. My personal experience with a side grinder has been no mishaps. Thanks for sharing your work and hope it continues to serve you well.
Have a good day
Ray

Cool idea, next step add one of the EvilBay diamond-impregnated 4" discs in the middle for finer finishes? I just clamped one under the washer against the wheel on a little 6" grinder for sharpening tungstens*, it works much better than I expected!

Dave H. (the other one)

* My EvilBay purchase for the month, I've wanted a TIG welder for Some Years, it came up "untested, spares-or-repair" stupidly cheaply because it's 3-phase and should do what I want (much more than I need, it's quite posh!) after a bit of investigation and repair if it needs it (I used to be an electronics tech', on weird and wonderful equipment...). I have a phase converter that can feed it as long as I stay below about 200 - 250 A and I want to work on thin tubes, it might just work!

If you turn your belt to vertical it will do a better job on sharpening drill bits. Big plus it's easier to thin the web then on grinding wheels. With different belts it's a super drill sharpener. Grinder discs wear very quickly I think you'll find bits getting longer on one side not much but it will show up the more you sharpen. Just my thoughts and yes I use the same sharpener on a 1"x42" belt grinder. And I got paid to sharpen hundreds of them . More for thinned webbed drill bits.

Back