Angle grinder overheating...

Duke

Registered
Registered
I have a new 850 watt Ryobi angle grinder that seems to get really hot. After a minute or two's use the front of the grinder is really hot and takes quite a while to cool down.

Running it with no load does not seem to cool it down at all.

As a comparison I have an old 600 watt ryobi angle grinder that has really seen a lot of pretty hard use and it hardly seems to get hot.

How hot does your angle grinder get during use?

by the "front" do you mean the gearbox end or the motor? If it is the gearbox, could be lack of lube, if its the motor, electrical problem, in either case, if it is that new, take it back!

Hi!

It is the front end where the gearbox lives.

I will return it when I am in town again..

When I get a new cheap grinder, i.e. HF, Ryobi, etc., the first thing I do is tear it down and make sure all the connections are good, brushes are running true, and most importantly change out the sad excuse for grease in the gearbox with some good molly of known origin. They seem to immediately run stronger, quieter, and cooler. When replacing the grease don't overpack the head. Mike

When I get a new cheap grinder, i.e. HF, Ryobi, etc., the first thing I do is tear it down and make sure all the connections are good, brushes are running true, and most importantly change out the sad excuse for grease in the gearbox with some good molly of known origin. They seem to immediately run stronger, quieter, and cooler. When replacing the grease don't overpack the head. Mike

Good Idea - I will return this one tomorrow and then do a teardown on the replacement.....

That will almost certainly void any warranty.

If you are returning it to any major retailer, no one will ever even look at it. Take your receipt, and they will just hand you another one. Not saying this is good or bad, just the way it is in our throw away world. Mike

Last edited:
If you are returning it to any major retailer, no one will ever even look at it. Take your receipt, and they will just hand you another one. Not saying this is good or bad, just the way it is in our throw away world. Mike

Yes Mike sad indeed.

Way back when our retailers used to ask customers why they were returning a product and filled out a sheet. They stuck that to the tool and it was sent back to us, the manufacturer. Every so often we would gather up these returns and do a tear down to see what went wrong and how we could improve. The descriptions were usually very helpful.

Then the retailers decided it was too much work to send stuff back, and I don't think customers liked being questioned. So they stopped and just trashed the tools. We lost valuable early warning feedback on how to improve.

David

A bigger problem is when the retailer just sticks the product back on the shelf. I bought a power hand planer from a national big box DIY. When I looked at it, there was wood dust accumulated in the dust port. I called and arranged to get another, this time in a factory sealed box but it involved a second 50 mile round trip and a couple of hours of my time.

The company I use to work for, replaced tools that were broke or lost. For mini grinders we would buy a cheap one on sale and wear it out in short order. The company then replaced them with good made in Germany Walters. The Walters lasted longer but would also meet that same fate. We did a lot of Zip cutting with them. As we went through them, we found the newer ones would have greater amperages (more power) at the same weight but would burn out faster.

Back