Angle grinder overheating...

Repacking those heads is a waste of time, all the grease flies off the gears in seconds. I checked after repacking mine. The gears in his are probably bad from the factory.

I have not returned the grinder yet - curiosity got the better of me and I opened it to take a look at the insides.

The gearbox had a lot of grease, but there was absolutely no sign of grease on the mating surfaces of the gears, so I distributed the grease around a bit. I agree that the grease will probably get thrown off pretty quickly but this should not hurt.

I opened the body as well and checked the connections - nothing visibly wrong.

After this I tried it for a short while and it seemed better.... Maybe just my imagination, but let's see how it holds up.

Talking about cheap tools - I also have a small ryobi belt sander - the one with the belt on the left and the round disk on the right.

The first one I got immediately made a weird noise. Returned it and got another one.

The second one has been going strong for the past four years without any problems and it has really seen a lot of use.

It looks to me like luck plays a part as well....

Was there any binding when you turned the hears by hand?

Could be one of 2 bearings too, here's a video:

I have given up on Ryobi tools. All i have tried have been junk. I got tired of carrying them back. I now stick to Dewalt or Metabo grinders.

When the company was shutting down, rather than wear out my good Walter grinder, I bought a $29 on sale Chinese made Hitachi . I knew I wouldn't be getting any replacements from the company. It survived cutting out the machinery, and I'm still using it in retirement. It's lighter and smaller than my other grinders.

Ryobi belongs to one of the big box stores? Lack of lube/grease and poor quality brushes are the main killer of these cheap units. Had a old Milwaukee that was rebuildable, sold it after years of use as I had no further use.

Back