Angle Plate

Great job!
Thanks for shooting it and describing it so well.
-brino

Started a new project this week. Making an angle plate to use on the mill.

View attachment 187424
View attachment 187425

Sketches for the project.

View attachment 187427

Nice material to work with 1/2 X 6 ground mild steel from McMaster-Carr.

View attachment 187428
View attachment 187429

Cutting up the stock for the upper and lower plates and the hinge piece.
Nice project Jim, BTW is that a home made table for using the band saw in vertical mode. I'm thinking of making one myself Do you have any photos of the making?

Nice project Jim, BTW is that a home made table for using the band saw in vertical mode. I'm thinking of making one myself Do you have any photos of the making?

I don't have any right now but will take some and post for you.

I don't have any right now but will take some and post for you.
Thanks Jim,

That would be great, I'm particularly interested in how the plate attaches to the saw frame, and how to keep it square.

Thanks,

Bob.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim,

That would be great, I'm particularly interested in how the plate attaches to the saw frame, and how to keep it square.

Thanks,

Bob.
G'day Jim,

I just noticed that you are in Moncton. My partner and I stayed there back in 2015 while on an 8 month motorcycle tour of USA and Canada, stayed 3 days while we had our bikes serviced and new tyres fitted.

G'day Jim,

I just noticed that you are in Moncton. My partner and I stayed there back in 2015 while on an 8 month motorcycle tour of USA and Canada, stayed 3 days while we had our bikes serviced and new tyres fitted.

Hope it was in the summer and hope you got a chance to interact with some of the Maritime folks. I grew up in Western Canada but likes the east coast so much during a work stint there that we moved back to Moncton to retire.

Very nice work Cobra. I particularly like the hinging details.

- I would love to try that McMaster supplied ground steel. May I ask, how are you able to order from them? I thought they stopped to shipping to Canada/international common mortals with the exception of institutions or large industrial clients? It was a sad day when I learned that, I use to use them for all sorts of goodies.

- I've thought many times about buying or building an angle fixture. I've always wondered how the typical side brackets/bolts would hold position under typical milling/drilling loads. What makes me think this is my own amateur experience with slight movement shift of parts even held in rigid mill vise jaws without supporting parallels. My machinist buddy says these angle plates are more common on grinders where down loads are smaller, but there are apparently other versions that have some kind of adjustable under arm support. I saw one old school picture that could be this, but forgot to save the link or take a pictures. Any thoughts on this aspect?

I have heard the comment on McMaster as well but had no problem opening an account - probably 3 years ago. Their service continues to be great.
The other option may be the Metal Supermarkets. I am pretty sure that they have an outlet in Calgary. I have purchased ground stock from them in Toronto when I lived there. It was O1 but they may have mild steel as well.

For the times I have used the angle plate, I have not had an issue with it moving but I was taking light cuts. I was using end mills and would not have been going over a 0.02" depth of cut.

So far, so good.

Thanks Jim,

Thanks,

Bob.

Hi Bob.
I have attached some photos of the table. I also did up a small sketch of the table. Dimensions for this table are for the Busy Bee 4X6 that is available in Canada though most of them are similar.
The smaller plate replaces the little plate/table that came with the saw for work in the horizontal direction. It is held on with two counter sunk 10-24 screws, replacing the 5mm screws that came with the saw. The position of them obviously comes from your particular saw.
The same can be said about the slots for the blade.
The shape of the lower/inside plate allow clearance on the left corner for the vice jaw and on the right for material when cutting at 45 degrees.
The hinges are just 0.125" drill rod 0.75" long. Alignment of these and the 4-40 screws is important to have the table move and be square.
One improvement that could be done is to relieve the back edge of the table plate as shown in the sketch. This will allow the table to swing past 90 degrees when in the up position, making it more stable and not as likely to come down making a hell of a racket and scaring the crap out of the hobbyist!
Any questions, give me a shout.
If you need the sketch as a drawing file, shoot me a PM with your email.

Jim

4X6 Saw Table.jpg IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG

I

what a beautiful piece of work and thank you for taking the time to share it, Jim.

Back