Angle Plate

Hi Bob.
I have attached some photos of the table. I also did up a small sketch of the table. Dimensions for this table are for the Busy Bee 4X6 that is available in Canada though most of them are similar.
The smaller plate replaces the little plate/table that came with the saw for work in the horizontal direction. It is held on with two counter sunk 10-24 screws, replacing the 5mm screws that came with the saw. The position of them obviously comes from your particular saw.
The same can be said about the slots for the blade.
The shape of the lower/inside plate allow clearance on the left corner for the vice jaw and on the right for material when cutting at 45 degrees.
The hinges are just 0.125" drill rod 0.75" long. Alignment of these and the 4-40 screws is important to have the table move and be square.
One improvement that could be done is to relieve the back edge of the table plate as shown in the sketch. This will allow the table to swing past 90 degrees when in the up position, making it more stable and not as likely to come down making a hell of a racket and scaring the crap out of the hobbyist!
Any questions, give me a shout.
If you need the sketch as a drawing file, shoot me a PM with your email.

Jim

View attachment 225118 View attachment 225119 View attachment 225120 View attachment 225121 View attachment 225122 View attachment 225123

I
Thanks Jim, very nice work as with all your projects.

My saw although not much smaller than yours It's 125 x 125mm or 5"x 5". Is, from the look of your pics it is a somewhat lighter build and was not ever intended to be used in the vertical mode, it comes from Taiwan and is quite well made but a little on the light side.

I have modified it so far that I can lift it up so that the blade is now vertical. It was made to only lift to about 75 deg above vertical.

I like your design, but will have to make something slightly different as the little plate that guides the blade into the rear roller guides is onl;y a little bit of bent sheet metal held on with only one 4mm scraw.

I was think of taking off the aluminium block that carries the rear roller guides and fixing a plate behind this block where it bolts to the main frame with I think two 6mm socket head cap screws, and build up the table bracket from there. I was also going to use a long, say, 100mm x 6mm cap screw as the hinge, and remove the table plate when not in use.

It has also occurs to me that some extra rigidity could be obtained by having a leg drop down from the underside of the table and be clamped in the vice, which would not be in use during the vertical blade operation.

It will be a slow build as I don't get much shop time, and have three other projects that I'm starting.

1. A set of 4 machine skates, so that I can move the lathe away from the wall when I need to get behind it. and a means of lifting it up onto the skates.

2. A vertical spindle milling attachment for my lathe as I simply don't have room for a milling machine. And one does need a mill of some sort.

3. a small jib crane that attaches to the back corner of the headstock for lifting heavy things onto the lathe, such as 4 jaw chuck and the milling attachment, when it's finished. I expect it will weigh about 50 Kg. / 110lb.

then I should be ready to take on anything.

Cheers,

Bob.

Hope it was in the summer and hope you got a chance to interact with some of the Maritime folks. I grew up in Western Canada but likes the east coast so much during a work stint there that we moved back to Moncton to retire.

Yes Jim it was summer although we did have some rain while in Moncton. We really only stopped there because of the HD dealership, our bikes needed servicing and I needed some new rear tyres on my bike (trike) and also on my little trailer. And I had been told there was a big tyre place not far past the HD dealers.

Bob.

Back