Annular cutters or drill bits?

Terry -

I used to get 12 volt "wall warts" from Goodwill, but they've started throwing extras away. But other similar stores still carry them. Look for the current capacity as well as voltage. You'll probably want an amp or so. No problem if it's higher capacity. The motor will only draw what it needs.

Terry -

I used to get 12 volt "wall warts" from Goodwill, but they've started throwing extras away. But other similar stores still carry them. Look for the current capacity as well as voltage. You'll probably want an amp or so. No problem if it's higher capacity. The motor will only draw what it needs.
Thanks, John. That's a big help.

When cutting plastic you want no or neg. rake on what ever your cutting with...

I did a decorative wine stopper rack for the stepdaughter. Since I made it out of Lexan, it needed 1” holes so I used an annular cutter to put the stopper holes in it. Attached is the Video

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice looking! I always admire such work on transparent plastics, especially how it's nicely deburred. Did you "fire polish" the edges to get them looking so nice?

The annular cutters really did a nice job, too. Definitely the way to go with plastics!

PS - A very slight correction: you said it was made of Lexan. That's a polycarbonate plastic. But looking at your wine rack edgewise, it looks like it's acrylic (Plexiglass or similar brand name). I've always used the "edge test" to quickly distinguish between the two. When looked at edgewise, acrylic (except the tinted varities) is very light or white looking. Polycarbonate's edge looks dark grey or dark purple. If you have a another piece with the original paper on it, you can look for the brand and check me.

I came really late to the party - sorry about that. I find annular cutters to work well in every plastic I've tried them on.

Reactions: tjb
I did a decorative wine stopper rack for the stepdaughter. Since I made it out of Lexan, it needed 1” holes so I used an annular cutter to put the stopper holes in it. Attached is the Video

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for responding, Jim. A while back, I made a similar 'window sill' rack out of clear acrylic for three of my wife's small flower pots (about 2" - 2 1/2" diameter). Because of the large size, I used my rotary table, so drilling wasn't an issue.

I have enjoyed watching your educational videos. I actually made a very nice fly-cutter based on your video. I added a set screw to the top of it so I could adjust the angle of the cutting tip if necessary. It turned out great, and I use it all the time. Here's a picture of it. It has a 7/8" shank, and after taking the pictures, I milled a flat to accommodate the set screw in the end mill holder.

IMG_1467.JPGIMG_1472.JPG

Regards,
Terry

Back