Annular cutters or drill bits?

1.1875 is a smidge bigger 30mm. Maybe a 30mm forstner?

Or this?

Now, that looks like it could work. They also have a 1 3/8". I could buy both for about the price of one of the S&D's. Do you have any experience with Bormax? Or using Forstner's on acrylic?

Regards,
Terry

If your tolerance allows, I'd use hole saws. If tight tolerance then use the Forstner bits, they work good on the white cutting boards I use for fixtures.
What material and thickness is the white cutting board? What size holes are you drilling?

Thanks.

Not a big fan of acrylic because it can catch and shatter. I would not use a forsener bit nor a larger standard drill. I would suggest annular cutters because you are only cutting the peripheral of the hole diameter. Slow even pressure should give you a continuous strings of plastic being cut. That would be my first choice, then possible a hole saw. Problem with hole saws I have had in plastic is the friction tends to cause it to melt and get gummy.

I do not. I need to cut a 2.125 hole it what i think is an acrylic sump pump pit cover to install a fitting to allow me pour some bleach down there. I have the fittings and was going to use a hole saw partly thru from both sides but might reconsider.

Not a big fan of acrylic because it can catch and shatter. I would not use a forsener bit nor a larger standard drill. I would suggest annular cutters because you are only cutting the peripheral of the hole diameter. Slow even pressure should give you a continuous strings of plastic being cut. That would be my first choice, then possible a hole saw. Problem with hole saws I have had in plastic is the friction tends to cause it to melt and get gummy.

'Slow even pressure' I think is precisely why I had the favorable outcome on the 1" holes.

I'm assuming an advantage of annular cutters is that the hole can (must?) be milled in a single pass. Is this correct?

Regards,
Terry

Terry
That is correct ( can (must?) be milled in a single pass.). Unless it is done in a good drill press and clamped down or a mill.
I think the advantage to a annular cutter is then you have it for steel, acrylic or most anything projects in the future. They don't dull very easily if used correctly. They do not need a pilot hole.

At a shop that I'm helping to liquidate, just sold a lot of 6 or 7 larger than 1" annnulars for $100. Most were new!

Aaron

Terry
That is correct ( can (must?) be milled in a single pass.). Unless it is done in a good drill press and clamped down or a mill.
I think the advantage to a annular cutter is then you have it for steel, acrylic or most anything projects in the future. They don't dull very easily if used correctly. They do not need a pilot hole.

At a shop that I'm helping to liquidate, just sold a lot of 6 or 7 larger than 1" annnulars for $100. Most were new!

Aaron
That's the kind of info I was hoping to hear: "...you have it for steel, acrylic or most anything...". That's the direction I'm leaning towards. Thanks.

Any other bargains at the shop you're helping to liquidate?

Regards,
Terry

Back