Another 10" Logan Project + A Question

LOL.....I hate to admit that I've forgotten it....more than once. I never thought about a clearance spec for the bull gear. I know if it's too loose it will rattle .

Yeah, I could probably wing it, but I'll try and get a number. If I get it, I'll post it.

I got an email back from Logan regarding clearance between the cone pulley and bull gear:

"Adjust the Bull Gear close to the Pulley but allow a few thousandths
clearance so they do not bind against each other while running in back gear."

I fiddled around with feeler gauges for a while and in the end set it by feel, just making sure that there was no
binding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guv
Try this supplier for bearings ( The big bearing store ) I have purchased various bearings and never had a problem. Al

One Advantage Of Owning A 10" Lathe:

DSCF7117_zpsixzefjpu.jpg

Decided to do some parts cleaning today and brought the bed up out of the basement to clean it in the solvent tank.

Also took apart the drive box and the brackets that support the motor. The "bench stand" (bracket that the motor support pivots off) casting was broken
when I bought the lathe, so a replacement was found on eBay. The motor support bracket is secured with a large pin that, after the Kroil treatment was
easily drifted out. Apart from needing a couple of fasteners, the drive box was ship shape and only needed cleaning. I'll tackle the drive box pulleys and their
bushings next.

Last edited:
Belt loading likely pulls them one direction.

Reverse them as one side is like new...

You could stretch an o - ring over the shaft to slide against the bushing to allow oil to pool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Good thought. I'll go measure and see where the wear is. I considered just going with them as they are, since if I want to change them later
the assembly comes apart easily.

It's pretty simple to change the bushings.... and the shaft for that matter. I've changed them on a few logans. It makes the machine run a little smoother. That shaft seems to get neglected on a lot of machines. It only takes a second to shoot a little oil in the cups.

The bushings on my 820 were much worse than yours! I replaced both the shaft and the bushings. I believe the total cost for all 4 bushings was less that $10 from McMaster-Carr.

Back