Another 10F Restoration-- Toader

toader

Registered
Registered
Well guys I guess I'll make a restoration thread, too.

MY STORY: I am a high-school senior getting ready for college in the fall. I want to study Mechanical Engineering. I consider myself fortunate to spend my whole life around equipment and machinery. I always spent time working on things with my dad (and still do!) When I was 14, I took on my first big project- restoring a 1972 Ski Doo snowmobile; if you are interested in this you can see it on YouTube UN: greentree328.

One thing I always thought was incredible was machining. Needless to say, I really wanted a lathe. After months of research, I learned that a decent sized Atlas lathe would suit my needs: they are affordable and have enough capabilities that I won't outgrow it anytime soon.

I prowled on Craigslist for a few weeks until a 10F came up for sale about an hour from my house. I drove down to take a look and ended up coming home with it. The guy wanted $600 but I talked him down to $400.

It came with: two cast iron legs, 3 Jaw, some HSS tooling, and a steady rest. It is in pretty good shape, I have had a fun time working on it after school. I've found a lot of missing parts on Ebay.

So, since I have no real knowledge of machining or the equipment, I figured the best way to get familiar with it is to tear it down and restore it. I would like to share my build with you guys, too. Pics will be coming.

I started the restoration working on the countershaft. I like doing one major component at a time so I do not get overwhelmed. I would like to thank Dennis for sending me new felt rings FREE of charge!

Thanks for reading; I'm sure I'll have tons of questions for you guys!

Toader

- - - Updated - - -

wDd1FZ03gZwdziTDY_ecKbHHOqueKyi0mDr4Ou1qLu0.jpgPhoto Feb 13, 4 56 51 PM.jpg

wDd1FZ03gZwdziTDY_ecKbHHOqueKyi0mDr4Ou1qLu0.jpg Photo Feb 13, 4 56 51 PM.jpg

Good luck. Having repaired / renovated a few machines I have a few tips that may help:

1. Always keep the workspace clean
  2. Use a magnet to keep all your small parts in one place
  3. Don't strip anything back to bare metal unless you plan on painting in the next 24 hours
  4. If you clean oil up with a rag, don't scrunch it up and throw it in the bin, lay it out flat
  5. If something isn't unscrewing or going into place, don't force it
  6. WD40 is not a good lubricant at all - it is a water displacer

Paul.

Great machine, keep the posts coming. This will be a good thread to watch. Thank you for posting.

Toader,

My hats off to you. We don't get many new members you age. Sounds like you're adept at machinery and your lathe will certainly help going forward. Looks like you found a good lathe there. Feel free to ask questions - there are lots of knowledgeable folks here with lots of experience.

Steve

I'll be watching this thread, keep the pics and even videos coming. You'll get lots of help from the people on this site.

Do you have a color in mind yet? Personally I like using a caliper or wheel paint that stands up very well to cutting fluids, but you don't get too many color choices.

I'll be watching this thread, keep the pics and even videos coming. You'll get lots of help from the people on this site.

Do you have a color in mind yet? Personally I like using a caliper or wheel paint that stands up very well to cutting fluids, but you don't get too many color choices.

I am going with a dark hammered gray paint. I think it will be a nice simple paint scheme. Keeping the orignal Atlas badges red/polished.

You will like the hammertone paint that is what I did with mine originally I had it painted the correct smooth gray paint and cleared it but even with the best of care it would chip frequently. Since paint can always be changed it does not hurt its originality. One piece of advice even though it will seem hard to the touch let the paint dry for about 4 weeks you will not believe how much harder it will get in passing time. And the nice thing about it over regular paint you can do touch ups and you cant tell where you did, you can brush it on and that even looks nicer than the spray you get no brush marks at all really amazing paint. here is mine.. Ray

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=21221

Thanks for the painting tips.

I'm off to the hardware store to pick up a battery charger. Time to make an electrolysis bath!

Did some work today...
Photo Mar 15, 3 30 04 PM.jpg
Photo Mar 15, 3 30 26 PM.jpg
Photo Mar 15, 11 55 33 AM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Did some work today...
Photo Mar 15, 3 30 04 PM.jpg
Photo Mar 15, 3 30 26 PM.jpg
Photo Mar 15, 11 55 33 AM.jpg

Photo Mar 15, 3 30 04 PM.jpg Photo Mar 15, 3 30 11 PM.jpg Photo Mar 15, 3 30 26 PM.jpg Photo Mar 15, 3 56 35 PM.jpg Photo Mar 15, 11 55 33 AM.jpg Photo Mar 15, 11 55 36 AM.jpg

Back